Re: [aqm] floating a draft charter

Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com> Thu, 30 May 2013 16:13 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 12:13:41 -0400
From: Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>
To: Mirja Kuehlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>
Cc: aqm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [aqm] floating a draft charter

On 5/30/2013 8:20 AM, Mirja Kuehlewind wrote:

> But my point is, we should not only to standardize more and more AQM
> mechanisms because that's a large research area which maybe even should be
> homed in the IRTF, but we need to find actually deployment strategies. Having
> a working group on AQM will already help to make people aware of the topic
> and maybe think about using AQM. But only standardizing more and more AQM
> queue, might end up in investing a lot of working that no-one will ever use.

I suggest appending something like this to the charter:

  Many AQM algorithms have been proposed in academic literature, but
  very few are widely implemented and deployed.  A goal of the working
  group is to produce recommendations that will actually be used, and
  algorithms that will actually be implemented, deployed in equipment,
  and enabled.  Towards these ends, the group actively encourages
  participation from operators and implementers, and will coordinate
  with the IETF OPS area and other relevant parts of the IETF and
  Internet community.  Wider research and evaluation of AQM mechanisms
  shall be coordinated with the IRTF/ICCRG, and significant
  participation in this WG from the academic and research community is
  highly desirable, when it is directly relevant to implementation and
  deployment.

We will definitely need to get engagement from some of the operators
that participate in the IETF, and should solicit participation more
widely outside as well (e.g. advertise to NANOG list, bufferbloat
list, etc.) in order to attract operators and implementers that aren't
already aware of this activity.

Would this help to address your concern?

--
Wes Eddy
MTI Systems