Re: [aqm] the cisco pie patent and IETF IPR filing

KK <kk@cs.ucr.edu> Wed, 04 March 2015 09:01 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 01:01:19 -0800
From: KK <kk@cs.ucr.edu>
To: Vishal Misra <misra@cs.columbia.edu>, Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>
Cc: "aqm@ietf.org" <aqm@ietf.org>, bloat <bloat@lists.bufferbloat.net>
Subject: Re: [aqm] the cisco pie patent and IETF IPR filing

I think a combination of PI/PIE/fq_codel with ECN would enable us
a) be less dependent of the physical amount of buffering that is
implemented on the intermediate devices
b) allow us to use buffering for what it is meant to do - ride out
transient variations in traffic, at points where there is a mismatch in
available capacity
c) allow us to support different types of links, including wireless lossy
links
d) as we wrote in the ECN RFC, allow even short-lived transfers to not
suffer
Thanks,
--
K. K. Ramakrishnan