Re: [aqm] ECT(1)

Bob Briscoe <research@bobbriscoe.net> Tue, 04 August 2015 11:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 12:39:09 +0100
From: Bob Briscoe <research@bobbriscoe.net>
To: John Leslie <john@jlc.net>
Cc: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com>, Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>, "aqm@ietf.org" <aqm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [aqm] ECT(1)

John,

There was much discussion about this identifier issue in Prague. Many
people are well-aware that the sticking point is availability of an
identifier, and its associated politics.

On 04/08/15 05:08, John Leslie wrote:
> Bob Briscoe <research@bobbriscoe.net> wrote:
>> I do not believe an IP (v4) option or a v6 extension would be necessary.
>> If ECT(1) were used that would surely be sufficient alone.
>     Alas, we're facing a political question: not just a technical one.
>
>     I think folks are ready to deprecate ECN Nonce; but I'm not
> optimistic that folks are ready to embrace "Low-Latency, Low-Loss and
> Scalable" (L4S) service, as introduced in draft-briscoe-aqm-dualq-coupled
> (Has this draft been posted?).
>
>     (IMHO, this work promises to be very valuable for the _many_ uses
> that are latency-sensitive; but adoption is going to be a major
> challenge!)
>
>     We may indeed eventually get to where Bob is thinking today; but
> I don't see a clear path to IETF-wide consensus yet. Even getting an
> Experimental RFC approved which re-purposes ECT(1) strikes me as a
> very significant challenge. :^(
>
>> I believe the main criteria for an identifier for this new service are:
>> 1. preferably orthogonal to Diffserv classes.
>     IMHO, Diffserv classes are poison!
>
>     There are a number of good folks pursing a Less-than-Best-Effort
> diffserv class. I wish them luck! But I'd be amazed if they succeed.
>
>     Diffserv classes are the private preserve of a _large_ number of
> network-service-providers. Best-Effort is the only one with universal
> agreement what it means.
>
>     All the others are subject to non-documented shuffling at the
> boundaries between providers (and "bleaching" to Best-Effort at many
> points within providers' networks).
DSCPs are only poison in standards. As you say, ISPs use DSCPs for many
internal services already.

(BTW, the request for a global scope DSCP for less-than-BE is very
different to this case, because bleaching LBE (remarking to the
all-zeros DSCP at borders) always /increases/ its priority.)

>> 2. preferably end-to-end in scope
>     I'm really not sure how we can make L4S useful if it lacks an
> End-to-End meaning. The signal must enter at the sender and mostly
> survive all the way to the receiver in order that the receiver
> (by whatever magic) can tell the sender about any congestion.

ISPs could go ahead with using a local DSCP now for L4S for their own
premium services. A large proportion of traffic these days is served
from within the same ISP as the user is connected to (esp using CDNs),
so this would be very "useful". Using a DSCP for alternate ECN semantics
is already recommended in RFC4774, so the IETF would not really need to
do anything to get L4S started.

The IETF might want to head-off possible interop problems by assigning a
global-scope DSCP for the alternate ECN semantics, which we all know are
in short supply. If we did use a global-scope DSCP it would be solely
for a migration period, which is a double-edged sword:
* if the migration period were truly short-lived, the global codepoint
would become available soon.
* if the migration period took longer, fears that burning a global DSCP
for a just a brief migration period would have proved unfounded.

If local-only L4S usage became widespread, it /could/ be used between
domains by simply ignoring the DSCP and only using ECN as the
classifier. But that all depends what the take-up of classic ECN is in
the meantime, and whether all the major classic ECN host implementations
migrate to L4S. (In the TCP Prague Bar BoF, Andrew McGregor made the
point that all the major OS developers who control what nearly all the
Internet's traffic looks like were in the room.) Then the IETF could
come along afterwards and standardise the new ECN semantics.

>> 3. preferably classic (RFC168) ECN and 'L4S' ECN would not permanently
>>     burn two codepoints, since it seems that 'L4S' could eventually
>>     subsume classic ECN (a fork would not be needed, because classic
>>     ECN doesn't seem to do anything that L4S cannot do).
>>
>     This is "nice to have", I suppose; but it seems too optimistic
> to take seriously. Deployment of L4S will take at least five years;
> and nobody's crystal-ball is good enough to see beyond that.
Deployment of something that enables new valuable apps and products can
take 2yrs.

Nonetheless, your general point is true.

>     Furthermore, I don't see how we can _ever_ entirely eradicate the
> RFC 3168 behavior of "same as drop".
<Flippant> According to measurement studies RFC3168 behaviour is
currently entirely eradicated. At least at such a low level that the two
CE packets that seemed to exhibit the behaviour are probably a symptom
of bugs.
</Flippant>

<Seriously>I know what you mean: RFC3168 behaviour is latent in
ECN-enabled servers waiting for a client request.

I have proposed that L4S behaviour is associated with e2e negotiation of
new Accurate ECN semantics. Nonetheless, even if an L4S client attempts
to negotiate AccECN with a server, if the server only supports classic
ECN, the session should{Note 1} fall back to classic ECN. So we will
need to distinguish classic ECN from L4S ECN... unless we all agree that
AccECN must fall back to drop, even if the other end says it supports
classic ECN.

{Note 1} AccECN is yet to be specified by the IETF, but this is the
current thinking, which seems reasonable.
</Seriously>

> Furthermore, L4S _can't_
> eliminate packet drops; and IMHO a packet-drop in an L4S stream
> must be treated _differently_ than a L4S congestion mark.
No-one is questioning that behaviour on drop needs to stay as in Reno or
Cubic. The question is only over whether behaviour in response to ECN-CE
should be distinct from drop behaviour.

>> *ECT(1) **
>> *Seems a good identifier, but it has the following problems:
>>
>> a) L4S traffic would need to be distinguished from classic ECN both
>>     when unmarked (ECT0 vs ECT1) and when marked (CE vs CE???).
>>     Ie. congestion experienced (CE) would have to be shared between
>>     the classes.
>
>     Actually, there are _two_ ways ECT(1) could be used:
> - ECT(1) could be set to request L4S forwarding rules marking CE
>    to indicate L4S congestion; or
> - L4S forwarders could change ECT(1) to ECT(0) (or vice-versa?),
>    to mark L4S congestion.
The latter doesn't work, I'm afraid. Reason:
* If all buffers on a path (say X, Y, Z) classify L4S and Classic by
ECT(1) and ECT(0) resp.,
* and if buffer X indicates L4S congestion by changing some L4S packets
from ECT(1) to ECT(0)
* then at subsequent buffers on the path (Y or Z), the L4S packets that
X remarked to ECT(0) will get classified into the Classic queue at Y and Z.

Result: a proportion L4S packets will get 'demoted' into low latency
queues, introducing intermittent re-ordering delay, thus increasing the
effective delay of the low latency L4S service to that of the classic
queues.

>>     It would not be so problematic if all queues classified all CE
>>     packets as the lowest latency class (L4S); CE packets from classic
>>     flows would then be delivered early out of order, requiring some
>>     buffering, but probably no more buffering than is already needed
>>     for retransmissions, and at least they would never be late out of
>>     order. See also {Note 1}.
>     I'm trying to follow this...
>
>     What exactly does Bob mean by "all queues"? Mostly we think of
> queues as part of the forwarding action. But some forwarders choose
> their action upon packet entry to the queue; other at packet exit.
> And, AFAIR, no forwarder takes an action based upon the packet being
> CE-marked when it arrives.
I didn't intend to say anything about whether actions are on entry or on
exit to the queue - I don't think that's relevant here.
Again, I was thinking about the problem of one queue remarking some
packets in both L4S and Classic ECN to CE, then how those CE packets
would get classified at subsequent queues on the path. I'll try again
with a picture...

,------------. ,------------. ,---------------. ,------------.
L4S source --> ECT(1)\    |      ECT(1)|-->| L4S      |\CE & ECT(1) |
CE & ECT(1)|==>|   L4S      |
                        ==>| Classifier|     Bottleneck
==========>|Classifier    |
Classic src--> ECT(0)/    |      ECT(0)|-->| Classic   |/CE & ECT(0) |
ECT(0)|-->|  Classic   |