Re: [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-ecn-benefits-04.txt

gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk Fri, 12 June 2015 12:47 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 13:46:43 +0100
From: gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk
To: "\"Mirja Kühlewind\"" <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Cc: gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk, aqm@ietf.org, Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re: [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-ecn-benefits-04.txt

Thanks - I see some points we can act upon now and see if we can do a
revision, but I can't promise to resolve all these issues in that revised
draft.

Since we are already in WGLC, the WG Chairs probably will need to decide
the scope - if this is changed, I expect will anyway require a new WGLC.
Hopefully the new ID will help.

Gorry

> [...]
>    congestion control mechanism at the sending endpoint.
>
>    Precise feedback about the number of packet marks encountered is
>    supported by the Real Time Protocol (RTP) when used over UDP
>    [RFC6679] and proposed for SCTP [ST14] and TCP [ID.Acc.ECN].
>
>    Note that even if richer feedback is provided, ECN requires a
>    definition of both how network devices CE-mark packets
>    and how the control loop in the application/transport reacts to
>    reception of these CE-marked packets.
>
>    An control mechanism, where CE marks are sent early based the
>    instantaneous queue length used a more fine-graind sender behavior,
>    has been shown by Datacenter TCP (DCTCP) [AL1] to be possible and
>    beneficial to provide improved latency. As DCTCP require changes of
>    all end hosts and network nodes, DCTCP is targeted at confined
>    environments such as a datacenter.  It is currently unknown
>    whether or how such behavior could be safely introduced into
>    the Internet.“
>
> And maybe also remove the following sentence in section 3:
>
> "There is opportunity to design an AQM method for ECN that differs
>    from one designed to drop packets (e.g., Random Early Detection uses
>    a smoothed queue length because it was designed for loss and a
>    congestion control that halves its sending rate on congestion)
>    [ID.RFC2309.bis]. "
>

>>> The other smaller point is that I'd like to see more explicitly
>>> mentioned
>>> somewhere that ECN does not always help with tail loss because often
>>> the
>>> queue
>>> simply is too short if a large burst is sent. (Therefore avoiding burst
>>> might
>>> still be useful).
>>>

>> GF: We suggest adding text on this topic to penultimate para of section
>> 2.3. This text says again that loss can not be avoided, which is a point
>> made in other ECN-related documents, but for clarity this could be
>> restated here:
>>
>> OLD:
>> When incipient congestion occurs at the tail of a burst, an ECN-capable
>> network device can CE-mark the packet(s), rather than triggering drop.
>> This allows the transport to avoid the retransmission timeout, ...
>>
>> NEW:
>> An ECN-capable network device cannot eliminate the possibility of packet
>> drop. Drop may occur due to a traffic burst exceeding the instantaneous
>> available capacity of a network buffer, or a a result of an AQM
>> algorithm
>> (overload protection mechanisms, etc). However, ECN-capable network
>> devices that observes incipient congestion may be expected to buffer an
>> ECN-capable flow and set a CE-mark in one or more packet(s), rather than
>> triggering packet drop.
>>
>> Setting a CE-mark allows the transport to avoid the retransmission
>> timeout, …
>

> Okay.
>

>>> These are the two points I'd like to see better addressed from my
>>> comments. However, based on the other comments on the list, I think