Re: [arch-d] Call for Comment: <draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc4844-bis-02> (The RFC Series and RFC Editor)

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Mon, 14 October 2019 19:45 UTC

From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 15:45:25 -0400
Cc: architecture-discuss@ietf.org, IAB <iab@iab.org>
To: Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>
Subject: Re: [arch-d] Call for Comment: <draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc4844-bis-02> (The RFC Series and RFC Editor)

Alissa:

> Section 3.3:
>
> The first paragraph of this section fails to mention the IAB and RSOC, which according to RFC 6635 have oversight roles. It seems incorrect to claim that operational oversight is solely the responsibility of IASA.
>
> The second paragraph is superfluous since the roles of the LLC Board and ED are defined in rfc4071bis, so I think for clarity it should be removed.
>
> The resulting changes could appear as follows:
>
> OLD
> The IETF Administration Limited Liability Company (IETF LLC), as part of the IETF Administrative Support Activity (IASA), is responsible for administrative and financial matters for the IETF, the IAB, and the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF) [I-D.ietf-iasa2-rfc4071bis]. The IASA is tasked with providing the funding for and operational oversight of the RFC Editor.
>
> The IETF LLC Board provides oversight of the IASA, and the IETF Executive Director is the chief actor for the IASA.
>
> The IETF Executive Director works with the IAB to identify suitable persons or entities to fulfill the mandate of the RFC Editor.
>
> NEW
> The IETF Administration Limited Liability Company (IETF LLC), as part of the IETF Administrative Support Activity (IASA), is responsible for administrative and financial matters for the IETF, the IAB, and the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF) [I-D.ietf-iasa2-rfc4071bis].The IASA is tasked with providing the funding for the RFC Editor. The IASA, the IAB, and the RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC) provide operational oversight of the RFC Editor.
>
> The IETF Executive Director works with the IAB to identify suitable persons or entities to fulfill the mandate of the RFC Editor.

The RSOC is not otherwise mentioned in this document, so to bring the RSOC into this discussion, I think a bit more context is needed.  I suggest:

   The IETF Administration Limited Liability Company (IETF LLC), as part
   of the IETF Administrative Support Activity (IASA), is responsible
   for administrative and financial matters for the IETF, the IAB, and
   the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF) [I-D.ietf-iasa2-rfc4071bis].
   The IASA is tasked with providing the funding for the RFC Editor.
   The IASA and the IAB provide operational oversight of the RFC Editor;
   however, as described in Section 3.1 of [I-D.ietf-iasa2-rfc6635bis],
   RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC), acting with authority
   delegated from the IAB, is responsible for ensuring that the RFC
   Series is run in a transparent and accountable manner, including
   design and execution of the RFC Series Editor selection process.

   The IETF Executive Director works with the IAB to identify suitable
   persons or entities to fulfill the mandate of the RFC Production
   Center and the RFC Publisher roles as defined in
   [I-D.ietf-iasa2-rfc6635bis].

> Section 7:
>
> I would suggest the following to make the text consistent with rfc4071bis Sec. 4.2:
>
> OLD
>   Under the new structure, the IETF LLC performs the tasks that were
>   previously assigned to the IETF Administrative Oversight Committee
>   (IAOC) under the old structure.
>
> NEW
>   Under the new structure, the IETF LLC performs the tasks related to IASA that were
>   previously assigned to the IETF Administrative Director and to the Internet Society.

Sure.  That is an improvement.

Russ