[arch-d] FYI: "ISOC" "New IP" "discussion" "paper"

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Tue, 28 April 2020 19:07 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 21:06:08 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: architecture-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: [arch-d] FYI: "ISOC" "New IP" "discussion" "paper"

Dear architecture-discuss, Olaf

I hope this forward is beneficial to the IETF architecture-discussion mailing list.

- Even though the the appended email claims that this was widely cross-posted,
  i did NOT see it in any of the many IETF mailing lists i am subscribed to.

- I could not find any actual public place (mailing list) for an open
  discussion about he topic of the paper:

- internetpolicy@elists.isoc.org does not allow Global ISOC members to
  join by themselves, nor do i know if it would welcome discussion.
  In fact it is not even listed on the set of pubic ISOC mailing lists.
  So the nature of this mailing list seems to be secret to me.

- NewIP-Discussion-Paper@isoc.org does seem to be just an alias for
  the authors. Unfortunately, the set of recipient seems to be secret,
  so i would not know the extend of people who will receive my emails,
  no would i be able to know about any other feedback (no public archive
  of the alias). If there was for example any US EAR entity listed
  recipient on that private mailing list alias, i could be violating
  US export regulations by sending technical detail explanations to
  such a non-public alias.

>From these few data points, i find the proposed communication mechanisms
about that paper somewhat confusing, if not concerning, but maybe i do
misunderstand how ISOC is or is not an open communtiy like i have experienced
IETF to be.

Cheers
    Toerless

https://www.internetsociety.org/resources/doc/2020/discussion-paper-an-analysis-of-the-new-ip-proposal-to-the-itu-t/