Re: [arch-d] possible new IAB programme on Internet resilience

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Wed, 01 January 2020 21:49 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2020 16:48:50 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Dan York <york@isoc.org>, Lucy Lynch <llynch@civil-tongue.net>
cc: architecture-discuss@iab.org
Subject: Re: [arch-d] possible new IAB programme on Internet resilience

Brian, Dan, and Lucy,

I agree with Lucy's point and Dan's elaboration.  Yes, it seems
to me that some of the private cloud issues that Dan is talking
about are a reversion to where we were in the 1990s, with a few
large differences other than public and private money. One is
that the public network, such as it was at the beginning of the
1990s, was, in many respects, a connectivity workaround to the
AUP-restricted research and education networks Brian refers to.
At this point, there is hugely more dependency on the
existence of the so-called public Internet.  And, to the extent
that those proprietary clouds reduce the incentives to provide
high-quality services available to the public at a reasonable
price, resilience suffers as do several other things.

Two other aspects of the situation Lucy and Dan point out
concern me even more.   One is that the design of the network
for robustness in the light of disaster (natural, technological,
or political) depends heavily on assumptions about diversity of
paths and resources.  Where once we had a great deal of
low-bandwidth copper and relatively low-density fiber, diverse
physical paths were easy to find for many transmissions.  Now,
as bandwidth of fiber has risen to levels most of us could not
imagine in the 1980s, physical path diversity opportunities have
decreased and the inherent robustness of "if a packet doesn't go
one way, it can go another" has decreased with it. For, e.g.,
undersea cables, there may still be an increasing number of
physical cables, but the number of landing points is not
increasing as rapidly.   There is another aspect of that change
which is also connected to the growth of large clouds.  Unless
we are very careful, encrypting everything and organize things
so that an individual's traffic gets lost in the crowd also
decreases robustness and resiliency, perhaps not against attacks
on privacy but against attacks on (or unplanned problems with)
the ability to transmit and deliver packets and the data they
carry.

The third issue is one we are seeing, IMO, more and more at the
applications layer.  In the networks of the early 1990s,
especially those not restricted by AUPs, most applications
services were provided on a single system into which one logged
in.  Outside the research and education networks, network
transmission, when it occurred at all, was a matter of gateways
(some legal, some less so) among those essentially-proprietary
systems.  And many of those arrangements involved bilateral
agreements among the proprietors.  If standards were needed, the
proprietary system operates made agreements among themselves,
with anyone who wanted to interoperate with them at their mercy.
As concentration increases among a relatively small number of
operators or software providers, even if their systems are
distributed across proprietary clouds rather than being all in
one place, I wonder if we are seeing that again with de facto
standards for web browsers being made by a handful of web
browser producers, de facto standards for email being made by a
handful or very large providers, etc, as examples.  There may be
advantages to such arrangements -- certainly they represent
running code -- but they put robustness and resiliency almost
entirely in the hands of those operators and vendors.

I hope the IAB intends to address those issues.  If it does not,
I fear that the proposed programme will not be useful to the
Internet.

   john

--On Thursday, 02 January, 2020 08:12 +1300 Brian E Carpenter