Re: [arch-d] ETSI launches new group on Non-IP Networking addressing 5G new services

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Thu, 09 April 2020 13:06 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 15:06:14 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Marie-Jose Montpetit <marie@mjmontpetit.com>
Cc: Lars Eggert <lars@eggert.org>, architecture-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [arch-d] ETSI launches new group on Non-IP Networking addressing 5G new services

On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 05:48:37AM -0700, Marie-Jose Montpetit wrote:
> Interesting that you mention vertically integrated solutions because in
> COIN and in related IoT research we are looking at common data layers to
> avoid having to go back to the DC or cloud before applications (in
> industry, agriculture etc.) can interoperate or data can be processed and
> communicated in order to create more advanced solutions using distributed
> cognition and machine learning.

Yes. interesting virtual meeting earlier this week.

> I know called these ???pet projects??? in a
> previous email but believe me there is not pet there but a real need.

Maybe i have not been using the term "pet" correctly, i was
meaning to have it express something people are passionate about.

Maybe i should have rather pointed to the financial incentives:
Folks contributing work to IETF and IRTF do this because its
most often part of their job/funding and its not really primarily
self-elected (beyond the fact how they may be able to self-elect
within bounds their funding). I think situation of topic selection by IAB
members follows quite different rules. For better or worse.

> And I gather you may know about the ICNRG since your team was contributing
> :)

Only had limied time to track that. Unfortunately a lot of
defunding of ICN going on i think.

> And while this thread has gone on for a while and
> it???s nice to criticize what are you exactly proposing.
> What is the architecture you would like to be discussed?

Well, this threas was not started by what architecure
i would like to see, that was a different thread, but
thanks for asking:

If you want to provide more explicit criticism for what wee
have put out so far, please comment on:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bryant-arch-fwd-layer-ps/

Btw: while it will be fun to focus on the pieces you don't
like (common feedback has been "i do not believe in hologram
use-cases"), its obviously also helpful to comment on what
you do agree on.

This is not really proposals for specific architecture or protocol
components, because there are certainly a lot of possible options.

We started to write down the areas of concerns as a gap
analysis because we have primarily seen the discuss about
anything "New IP" come back with "what problem are you trying
to solve". Of course we have ideas and proposals how to solve
them, and will write them down too, but it would be a lot
more interesting if other members of the community would bring
in their ideas as well.

Practically speaking, in our opinions, most of interesting
future internet traffic that needs more than best-effort-network
services will happen in metropolitan networks between
towers/usrs and edge-DC, and i think we can and need to
evolve the internet architecture for that future on many
laers, starting at making the actual forwarding plane
of all routes/switches programmable (which would be where
i think your interest might be), up to the point of how
to introduce monetization models for consumption of such
future network services beyond the current model of
"flat rate for network transport and secret anticompetitive backend
deals for differentiated service delivery"

Cheers
    Toerless