[arch-d] net-programming and IPv6's Architecture (Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-spring-srv6-network-programming-17.txt> (SRv6 Network Programming) to Proposed Standard)

Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com> Thu, 10 September 2020 22:10 UTC

To: "Pablo Camarillo (pcamaril)" <pcamaril@cisco.com>, "last-call@ietf.org" <last-call@ietf.org>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "'ietf@ietf.org'" <ietf@ietf.org>, architecture-discuss@iab.org, 神明達哉 <jinmei@wide.ad.jp>
From: Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 19:09:58 -0300
Subject: [arch-d] net-programming and IPv6's Architecture (Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-spring-srv6-network-programming-17.txt> (SRv6 Network Programming) to Proposed Standard)

FWIW, I consider may od the issues I have raised have not been addressed.

There are several main architectural areas that this document is
modiying, that don't belong in spring's charter and possibly not even in
6man (IPv6 *maintenance* != IPv6 rearchitecture).

I'll repeat these here:

* The basic Internet architecture with its removal of extension headers
in the middle of the network.

   I suggest the following rationale be considered:

    1)
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ipv6/2CCuZ4t3scWE3bWMJI0rkT2lCqg/

    2)
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ipv6/SRavS6xCwTN2Y_V6zUc3vbfFmqM/

    3)
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ipv6/pSPLwWa3i1_1VrxxTtlzH_3UFDc/

    The fact that you guys have decided to employ one possible
    interpretation of the possible bogus imprecise resulting text is
    alarming.

    I should remind the community that, at the time RFC8754 was adopted
    by the 6man wg, it was explicitly adopted on the condition that it
    would remove any text regarding header insertion removal.

* The addressing architecture -- where addresses are employed for means
   other than those specified in RFC4291

   It would seem to me that other uses for IPv6 address, as in this
   document, should be subject of an update to RFC4291, plus discussion
   in a wg that is chartered to make non-trivial changes to the IPv6
   architecture. I think that probably not even 6man would be allowed to
   do that.

* The processing of segment routing headers, with the PSP behavior
   specified in this document .

   The PSP behavior does not seem to be compliant with RFC8754 itself.

All the above not only seem to essentially step outside of spring's
charter, but also result in major architectural changes with concrete
operational implications and ramifications.

Now, if the changes were discussed in the appropriate fora, and there
was consensus to go forward (whether that's a good idea or not).. so be it.

But this looks a lot like sneaking major changes to IPv6's architecture
in a group that is not chartered to do so.

P.S.: The way this I-D progressed pre-Joel Halpern just adds on top of
that (https://www6.ietf.org/iesg/appeal/gont-2020-04-22.txt)

Thanks,
Fernando