Re: [arch-d] Program issues

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Sun, 15 November 2020 22:36 UTC

Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 17:36:20 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>, IAB Chair <iab-chair@iab.org>, architecture-discuss@iab.org
Subject: Re: [arch-d] Program issues

Brian,

Certainly if what the separation really means is to eliminate
the bundling of [technical] Programs with administrative and
oversight functions, I'd consider it a good idea... and much
more consistent with what Olaf, myself, and the general
consensus of the IAB a decade ago thought we were doing.  My
concern was that the IAB might be taking another step in the
direction of substituting more internal structure, specific
definitions, and categories for getting substantive work done
(and, yes, for accountability).

If this is really "hey, some of this stuff that we identified as
"Programs" really doesn't match the original intent and is
creating confusion, so we are going to stop calling them that",
why doesn't the IAB just do it?  To take the longest-lived one
as an example, the IAB didn't need to consult the community or
make a big deal out of starting to call its liaison oversight
responsibilities (which existed long before programs existed) a
"Program" and doesn't need to make a big deal out of ceasing to
use that terminology.

The problem there, as I see it, is that the IAB is feeling much
less responsible and (coming back to Subramanian's
question/point) accountable for liaison relationships than I
believe was intended when RFC 2850 was written in 2000 (and
indeed, although less specific, in RFCs 1358 and 1601 much
earlier).  If calling those liaison responsibilities a "Program"
helped cause that change then, IMO, the terminology change was a
bad idea because I think the IAB is responsible for consulting
the community when it is going to drop a responsibility.  But,
again, the terminology isn't really the problem, the actions are.

Granted that I'm getting a bit paranoid about such things but,
when I read that proposal, I saw, not a simple adjustment of
terminology but a further step in which the IAB becomes less a
single (and jointly accountable) body and, instead, more like
the IESG where different members are assigned primary
responsibility for different topic areas and keep that
responsibility for long periods of time.   Unlike the IESG,
where the necessity to have consensus about Last Calls and
documents force some cross-checking of each other's work, that
could easily turn the IAB into a collection of fiefdoms, a
decision on which the community should clearly be consulted.

And, while the above was written before Bernard's note arrived,
I (perhaps obviously) agree with his analysis and the conclusion
that it is probably time to start examining the IAB's
administrative and oversight responsibilities to determine
whether they are necessary at all.  If they are necessary,
whether the IAB is the right place to house them if they are and
how they can be carried out in a way that is most effective and
transparent and accountable to the community.

   john

   john

--On Monday, November 16, 2020 10:10 +1300 Brian E Carpenter