Re: [armd] draft-dunbar-armd-arp-nd-scaling

Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com> Thu, 29 March 2012 13:21 UTC

From: Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>
To: Kireeti Kompella <kireeti@juniper.net>, "Benson Schliesser (bschlies)" <bschlies@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:18:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.138.85]
Cc: "armd@ietf.org" <armd@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [armd] draft-dunbar-armd-arp-nd-scaling

Kireeti,

Thank you very much for the very constructive comments.

My reply and follow up is inserted below:

Linda

[Linda] Will do.

> Also, is there a sense of how comprehensive this discussion of
> techniques for scaling ARP/ND is?

[Linda] The draft is about practices which can be used to reduce the amount of ARP/ND requests to be handled by L2/L3 boundary routers.  So we call it "scaling ARP/ND". Do you have a better term? We need to change the name in removing the wording "BCP".

> Details:
> a) Abstract: data center environment => data center environments
> b) spurious "0" at end of Conventions used
> c) reference [ARMD-problems] needs to be fixed (cf with section 3.1)
> d) Suggested rewrite for 3.2:
>
>    If a Layer 2 domain consists of several subnets (or VLANs) whose
>    aggregate number of hosts is large, the L2/L3 boundary routers can
>    be heavily impacted by the number of ARP/ND broadcast/multicast
>    messages received from those hosts.  This section describes some
>    commonly used practices in reducing the ARP/ND processing required
>    on L2/L3 boundary (or gateway) routers for some common traffic
> patterns.

[Linda] Thanks for the good suggestion.

> e) 3.2.1:
>    Recommendation: Use in IPv4-only networks.
>
> [drop suggestions to change IPv6]
[Linda] OK

> f) 3.2.2, first para, first line:
> When the source address is in a different subnet and the target
>
> Suggestion: change "target" to "destination address".
[Linda] Sure.

> g) remove suggestion to change IPv6 ND protocol in Recommendation.
[Linda] Sure.

> h) 3.3: Disadvantage should mention that if ARP mappings change or go
> away, static entries could lead to persistent packet loss.
>
> i) 3.3: Recommendation
> Most of the recommendations are for the data center provider.  Stuff
> like "change IPv6 ND protocol" and "Ask IETF to create new protocol"
> seem out of place.  (Orthogonally, I don't see the IETF dealing with
> static ARP entries.)

[Linda] OK.

> j) 3.4: calling this technique "elegant" is a value judgment whose
> validity I cannot comment on; however, it seems out of place.

[Linda] Is it better to remove this section?

> k) 3.4: Recommendation: remove the first sentence (redundant with the
> Disadvantage).
[Linda] Sure

> l) 3.5, first para: redundant period at end of para.
[Linda] good catch.

> m) 3.5: Recommendation: see early comment on recommendation.
>
> n) 4.: Perhaps call this Future Work, and focus on protocol extensions
> that might help this issue.
[Linda] good idea.

> o) 6.: if (as is possible) there is no future document, then some
> mumble on security in _this_ document.
[Linda] Sure.