Re: [armd] address resolution requirement from hosts to overlay edge nodes. Any opinion?

AshwoodsmithPeter <Peter.AshwoodSmith@huawei.com> Tue, 14 February 2012 22:18 UTC

From: AshwoodsmithPeter <Peter.AshwoodSmith@huawei.com>
To: Anoop Ghanwani <anoop@alumni.duke.edu>, Mike McBride <mmcbride7@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 22:15:29 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.193.60.75]
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, Igor Gashinsky <igor@yahoo-inc.com>, "armd@ietf.org" <armd@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [armd] address resolution requirement from hosts to overlay edge nodes. Any opinion?

Irrespective of what is right or wrong etc. technically, I think it would be very useful to have a taxonomy of the different applications that are using multicast / broadcast for things other than ARP.

The complexity of the underlay depends a lot on what happens with the use of multicast by the overlay.

For example. Assume Microsoft load balancing (for better or worse). If I remember correctly, and sombody correct me if I'm wrong, it generates multicast frames from otherwise unicast packets at the router so that multiple hosts all get copies and then only one responds for a given flow... or something like that.

So if we are using something like a VXLAN overlay we need to map the L2 multicast in the overlay to L3 multicast in the underlay or do head end replication in the overlay and get a wack load of duplicate frames on the first link from the router to the core "switch" (really it's a router). Not good. The solution presumably is to run potentially thousands of PIM-SM or something messages to generate/maintain the required multicast state in the IP underlay.

Anyway the behavior of the upper layer with respect to broadcast / multicast affects the choice of head end, (*,G) or (S,G) replication in the underlay, which affects the opex and capex of the entire solution, so I think its an important question to get a handle on earlier rather than later.

Peter