Subject: Re: [art] Need some more feedback on httpi draft
From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
To: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 08:18:20 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: Applications and Real-Time Area Discussion <art.ietf.org>

> In article <[email-masked]> you write:
> >
> >I have made changes to the draft taking feedback from valdis i need some more
> >feedback from few others if possible
> >
> >https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-emailwhois-pradeepkumarxplorer-00.txt

> The structure of WHOIS is managed by ICANN for the generic TLDs, by
> the individual countries for ccTLDs, and by the RIRs for IP addresses.

> This isn't in scope for the IETF.

+1 as far as existing whois services go. Of course people are free to create
additional services that allow people to register their email addresses, but
(a) Not sure what the business model would be and (b) This is, again, not a
standards matter.

As for creating a new Internet-level federated service, this is what X.500 was
supposed to do - it was called, rather grandiosly, The Directory.

A couple of pilot projects were attempted. All of them failed, mostly because
essentially nobody was willing to put their directory of addresses online.

And all this was back when privacy concerns were, if anything, an afterthought.
These days the potential liability created by new laws make this idea
completely impractical.

tl;dr: This is a nonstarter.

				Ned