Re: [art] BCP 190, draft-nottingham-for-the-users, and a generalization

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Tue, 23 July 2019 15:31 UTC

To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, art@ietf.org
Cc: architecture-discuss@ietf.org
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 11:30:59 -0400
Subject: Re: [art] BCP 190, draft-nottingham-for-the-users, and a generalization

John --

It's going to take a while for me to formulate my thoughts around what
you say below. To make sure I understand the class of constraints you're
concerned about below, can you clarify whether you think they apply to:

  * Documents like BCP 200, RFC 2804, and BCP 188?
  * Documents like BCP 9 and BCP 92?
  * Documents like BCP 25, BCP 54, and BCP 83?

You might see an unstated agenda in the categories of documents I list
above, so I'll state it explicitly: in the general case, one person's
important protections against a tragedy of the commons is another
person's annoying impediment to be ignored and defeated. I get that not
all of the above read on protocol design; but they do share the common
feature that they've gone through the IETF consensus process (at least
to the degree that such a process existed at the time of their
respective publications). If we're going to carefully parse out the
meanings of some of them as the will of the community while treating
others as light guidelines to be ignored when they become cumbersome,
we're going to need to agree on a pretty bright line that divides those
categories.

/a