[art] Artart early review of draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-scip-02

Jim Fenton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 11 October 2022 04:41 UTC

From: Jim Fenton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: art@ietf.org
Cc: avt@ietf.org, draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-scip.all@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 21:41:16 -0700
Subject: [art] Artart early review of draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-scip-02

Reviewer: Jim Fenton
Review result: Ready with Issues

I am the designated ARTART reviewer for this early review of
draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-scip-02. I requested assignment to this re-review since
many of the concerns in my earlier review have been addressed.

The abstract and introduction still provide somewhat different motivations for
this document. Through correspondence with the authors, it appears that a
primary goal (perhaps the primary goal) is to provide RFC 6838 compliant media
subtype definitions as mentioned in the abstract. This same goal should be
expressed in the body of the document, perhaps the introduction.

I share other reviewers' concerns about whether the reference to SCIP-210,
which is not generally available, is normative or informative. I understand
that it is the consensus of the WG that the reference is informative, although
I'm not sure this is really a WG consensus decision. However, if this document
exists primarily to provide information needed for media type registration (as
opposed to implementation), perhaps that leans more in the direction of an
informative reference. I will leave that to others who have more experience
with media subtype registrations and normative/informative distinctions.