Re: [art] [Pearg] Fwd: Side meeting for IP address privacy on the web

Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com> Mon, 24 February 2020 02:45 UTC

To: Allison Mankin <allison.mankin@gmail.com>, "pearg@irtf.org" <pearg@irtf.org>
From: Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com>
Cc: art@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 12:44:46 -0300
Subject: Re: [art] [Pearg] Fwd: Side meeting for IP address privacy on the web

Folks,

Unfortunately I will not be attending the next IETF meeting, but I felt
like posting a few comments on the topic.

Some of us have done a fair share of work in the area of "address
privacy", among others, please see:

* RFC7217/RFC8064: which replaces traditional stable IPv6 addresses with
                    something more sensible (from a privacy point of
                    view)

* draft-ietf-6man-rfc4941bis: A revision of RFC4941 to fix a number of
                    flaws in it.

* RFC7721: Privacy analysis of IPv6 addresses.

* draft-gont-6man-address-usage-recommendations: A document that,
                    among other things identifies gaps that prevent us
                    from doing more appropriate usage of IPv6 addresses.

They try to address as much of the problem as is "addressable": Modulo
the IID part of an address (which may unnecessarily leak information),
all the topologically-dependent bit of an address are simply serving
their purpose. Put another way, an address is a topologically-dependent
identifier. So it *will* leak the position of the node in the network
topology (that's why you use adressses in the first place, such that the
network knows how to get packets back to you!).

The browser "solutions" listed below are not really solutions: e.g., a
VPN simply adds one extra layer of indirection, and essentially choose a
different point in the network that gets to see all of the users'
traffic, and is able to track users in a very easy way. dVPN would be,
in a way, something along the lines of Tor? -- If so, why not Tor?

As with DoH, relying on a single party to behave nicely, based on the
(questionable) assumption that some party (in this case the local ISP)
is evil, while another is just nice (in this case the VPN concentrator,
or analogous for the browser extension) leads to, IMO, a more scary
scary situation where a single entity could potentially go rogue, or be
hacked, affecting the privacy of many more users.

As with e.g. DoH, you don't really get privacy, but rather get to pick
how gets to peak at your traffic.

This is an important message to state clearly... and hopefully an
argument such that browsers *never* enable this king of thing by
default, as was the case with DoH in some cases.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Fernando