Re: [art] Please review: Registering the 'LoST-Validation' NAPTR Service Tag

"Randall Gellens" <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org> Thu, 30 January 2020 23:44 UTC

From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>
To: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: Applications and Real-Time Area Discussion <art@ietf.org>, Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 15:44:10 -0800
Subject: Re: [art] Please review: Registering the 'LoST-Validation' NAPTR Service Tag

On 29 Jan 2020, at 12:03, Ted Hardie wrote:

> I don't see any major issues with this.  As a very minor nit, this
> text:
>
>    In the absense of any NAPTR
>    records containing the 'LoST-Validation' service tag, the 'LoST'
>    service tag is used.  Fallback to the 'LoST' service tag may follow
>    if the 'Lost-Validation' service tag fails to result in a usable
> LoST
>    server.  Using the 'LoST-Validation' service tag might result in
> the
>    same URL as the 'LoST' service tag, or it may result in a different
>    URL.  The URLs might result in the same physical servers being
>    contacted, or different servers.
>
> is a bit confusing.  Changing:
>
>    Fallback to the 'LoST' service tag may follow
>    if the 'Lost-Validation' service tag fails to result in a usable
> LoST
>    server.
>
> to something like:  "Clients MAY also fallback to the "LoST" service
> tag
> if the "LoST-validation" service tag fails to resolve to a usable LoST
> server"
>
> Would be slightly more readable to me.
>
> regards,
>
> Ted Hardie

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the comment.  What do you think of this wording:

    Because some servers might be configured to provide both mapping and
    validation functions, a server identified using the 'LoST' service
    tag might also perform the validation function (and resolving the
two
    tags might result in the same URL).  Because the two functions might
    be separate, clients seeking a LoST server for location validation
    should first try U-NAPTR resolution using the 'Lost-Validation'
    service tag, and may fallback to the 'LoST' service tag if the
'Lost-
    Validation' service tag cannot be resolved to a usable LoST server.

--Randall