Re: [Asrg] Summary of junk button discussion

"Chris Lewis" <clewis@nortel.com> Thu, 25 February 2010 06:20 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 01:22:37 -0500
From: Chris Lewis <clewis@nortel.com>
To: asrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Summary of junk button discussion

On 2/25/2010 12:45 AM, John Levine wrote:

> The only think other than a junk button that appears useful is a
> not-junk button to display when looking at stuff in a junk folder.  I
> suppose we could do that, but then we'd have to define what a junk
> folder is.

Not really.

Thunderbird has a junk button that toggles a "junk" flag on or off per
email, without tying it to folders.  You can define additional actions
as to what happens when you hit junk (move to junk folder or delete).
And undo it.  While it's specifically tied to Bayesian training in the
client, it doesn't really have to be.  And by fairly trivial extension,
you could add a "FBL to <x@y>" action, default perhaps supplied by MDA
header.

[The bayesian filtering will set the junk flag, and the actions aren't
necessarily identical to when you explicitly mark something junk.]

Later versions of Tbird have yet another "state" - "I dunno if this is
junk" (I think.  Probably an intermediate Bayesian score).  Which makes
things a bit more awkward - marking something not-junk from that state
can be tricky if you have "move marked junk to junk folder" set because
it toggles thru "junk" first.  But that's a Bayesian implementation
artifact/feature I think.

With more tweaking, such an implementation would be a bit more
user-friendly, and can stand as a guide as to how you might spec out
what the junk/unjunk button "means", and leave actions to the
implementation.