Re: [Asrg] [ASRG] SMTP pull anyone?

Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org> Wed, 26 August 2009 21:30 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:22:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
To: Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF <asrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] [ASRG] SMTP pull anyone?

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, John Levine wrote:

>> Rich, does ipv6 change any of this?
>
> I'm not Rich, but the open question at this point is how effective
> DNSBLs will be on IPv6.

I think it unlikely that an IPv6 only MTA will ever have acceptance even
as wide as, for instance, MTAs with "pool" or "dial-up" in their RDNS.
IPv6 only MTAs will be refused by many MTAs. There are simply too many
IPv6 addresses to blacklist bad hats, and blacklisting /48s would be a
very broad brush. The advantage of IPv4 is that the number of addresses is
finite, and legitimate holders of addresses are loath to waste them.

I understand that many IPv6 capable MTAs exist, but I expect they do all
or nearly all of their external traffic via IPv4. I don't mean a general
condemdantion of IPv6, I am only saying that SMTP traffic from strangers
on IPv6 is not likely to be worthwhile.

Daniel Feenberg