RE: [Asrg] C/R Interworking Framework

"Peter Kay" <peter@titankey.com> Wed, 04 June 2003 18:13 UTC

Subject: RE: [Asrg] C/R Interworking Framework
From: Peter Kay <peter@titankey.com>
To: John Fenley <pontifier@hotmail.com>, asrg@ietf.org
Sender: asrg-admin@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 08:06:29 -1000

In addition to what you have below, the C/R internetworking must define
how C/R systems respond to each other's challenges. For example:

1. The Titan Key (TTK) sends out an email to someone the first time. The
recipient's email is automatically added to TTK  whitelist.

2. The recipient does not have me on their whitelist, so they send a
challenge. But because their "FROM" address in the MAIL command is NOT
the sender's address, TTK doesn't have that address on its whitelist so
it sends a challenge to the challenge.

End result is that the TTK user never sees the recipients challenge and
the recipient never gets the email.  So what ends up happening is the
recipient has to go through their quarantine folder and pull out the
email.  The TTK user never gets the email because the challenge was
killed in the MAIL command.

So, to me, C/R systems need to at least use their end-users email
address on the MAIL  FROM address in the mail command. Assuming that a
CR system dynamically adds a recipient email address to the whitelist,
the process would then go as follows:

1. The sender Y (SY) using CR system A (CRA) sends an email to recipient
Z (RZ) not currently on CRA's whitelist.

2. CRA dynamically adds RZ's email to CRA's whitelist.

3. RZ's CR system B (CRB) receives SY'z email

4. CRB sends a challenge to SY. The MAIL FROM address is RZ's email
address.

5. CRA receives CRB's challenge and since RZ's email address has been
already added to CRA's whitelist, the challenge passes through to SY.

6. SY responds to the challenge.

7. Mutual authorization to correspond is completed and email may flow.