[Asrg] ASRG IPR policy (was RE: US Spam patents: Partial list)

Paul Judge <paul.judge@ciphertrust.com> Fri, 13 June 2003 12:13 UTC

From: Paul Judge <paul.judge@ciphertrust.com>
To: 'Yakov Shafranovich' <research@solidmatrix.com>, 'Peter Kay' <peter@titankey.com>, "'Asrg@ietf.org'" <Asrg@ietf.org>
Subject: [Asrg] ASRG IPR policy (was RE: US Spam patents: Partial list)
Sender: asrg-admin@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:45:53 -0400

We have decided to adopt the following IPR policy for the ASRG. It is based
on the IETF's IPR policy as outlined in RFC 2026.

"By submission of a contribution, each person actually submitting the
   contribution is deemed to agree to the following terms and conditions
   on his own behalf, on behalf of the organization (if any) he
   represents and on behalf of the owners of any propriety rights in the
   contribution..  Where a submission identifies contributors in
   addition to the contributor(s) who provide the actual submission, the
   actual submitter(s) represent that each other named contributor was
   made aware of and agreed to accept the same terms and conditions on
   his own behalf, on behalf of any organization he may represent and
   any known owner of any proprietary rights in the contribution.

The contributor represents that he has disclosed the existence of
      any proprietary or intellectual property rights in the
      contribution that are reasonably and personally known to the
      contributor.  The contributor does not represent that he
      personally knows of all potentially pertinent proprietary and
      intellectual property rights owned or claimed by the organization
      he represents (if any) or third parties."

This means that the person submitting a proposal is responsible for stating
any relevant IPR that he knows about even if he is not the holder of the
rights. This does allow for other members to notify a contributor about
relevant IPR after the initial submission. The contributor should then
disclose this information in revisions of the contribution.