Re: [Asrg] DNSSEC is NOT secure end to end (more tutorial than debating)

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Wed, 03 June 2009 00:47 UTC

To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 10:47:31 +1000
Sender: marka@isc.org
Cc: Christian Huitema <huitema@windows.microsoft.com>, Francis Dupont <Francis.Dupont@fdupont.fr>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, Thierry Moreau <thierry.moreau@connotech.com>, Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF <asrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] DNSSEC is NOT secure end to end (more tutorial than debating)

In message <4A25B8EF.70203@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>, Masataka Ohta writes:
> Thierry Moreau wrote:
>
> >> (That is: You already trust the zones above you to maintain the
> >> integrity of the zone on the *server*;
>
> > This assumption does not stand universally. For some DNS users/usage,
> > DNSSEC signature verification will be a must. The discussion implicitly
> > referred to such uses.
>
> A problem of blindly believing a zone administration is that it is
> only as secure as blindly believing an ISP administration.
>
> Attacking a router of a large ISPs is as easy/difficult as attacking
> a signature generation mechanism of a large zone.

	The difference is we *have* to trust the zone administration.
	There is no scalable way to avoid that trust issue.

	We don't have to trust the router adminstration or caching
	server administration or authoritative server adminstration.

> Moreover, administration of LAN of a local organization (my universty,
> for example) is as secure as administration of a zone local to the organizati
> on.

	I've been on plenty of LAN's which I would treat as "hostile".

> You can, for example, bribe a personnel or two, against which there
> is no cryptographical protection, which means PKI is weakly secure.

	Which is not a arguement for not doing DNSSEC.  Knowing
	where the risks are is how you do risk management.  If you
	arn't willing to accept some risks then don't connect to the
	net.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@isc.org