Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org> Fri, 05 February 2010 12:09 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 07:09:05 -0500
From: Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
To: Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF <asrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Chris Lewis wrote:

> John Levine wrote:
>>> In any case it hardly matters because POP3 and IMAP are completely
>>> different
>>> protocols with different constituencies. You'd never have a standards
>>> effort
>>> that lumps them together in a million years, and even if you did you'd do
>>> nothing more than needlessly confuse the programmers of their respective
>>> code bases.
>>
>> Actually, we've seen a reasonable suggestion a few messages back that
>> would work equally well with POP and IMAP: extract a reporting address
>> from the message and send it an ARF report.  It has the admirable
>> characteristic of being completely agnostic about how the mail is
>> delivered, since there are plenty of delivery techniques other than
>> POP and IMAP, such as WebDAV, uucp (still handy for intermittent
>> connections), fetchmail, and just reading the local mailstore.
>
> If we want to sidestep the issue of how to deal with senders wanting their
> FBLs, the very simplest method of all is to have the TiS button send an ARF
> to a specific address, and let that address figure out everything else.
>
> I could live with that even in my odd-ball architecture (which probably
> resembles other very large infrastructures).  I already do that (without the
> ARF format), and the recipient address has to be manually configured in the
> MUA.
>
> I'd only add that I'd prefer _not_ to have to have the user configure the MUA
> where to send the ARFs to.  The receiving mail server inserts it.  Meaning
> that the MUA has to be able to determine it's valid.

I haven't been following this thread very closely, but why not just
establish a standard role account on the MUAs designated POP or IMAP
server? Such as arf@pop.example.com? It effectively "preconfigures" the
MUA since "arf" is standard and "example.com" is already known to the MUA.
The less configuration the better, I think.

I reject arguments that "arf" is English, and that non-english speakers
need an address consistent with their native tongue - partly because users
won't need to do the configuration themselves, partly because "arf" isn't
English, and partly because the argument is just too silly anyway. People
learn a few words of Italian if they want to play music, and a few words
of French if they want to cook, they can learn a few words of English if
they want to compute. I note that the French language standard for
Fortran-66 was not widespread, even in France.

If someone already has the userid "arf", that is too bad.

> I think this is important because many MUAs receive email from multiple
> infrastructures, each potentially with their own policies.

The MUA could keep track of the ARF server associated with the current
POP/IMAP server.