Re: [Asrg] SMTP pull anyone?

Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org> Mon, 17 August 2009 17:15 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:14:44 -0700
From: Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org>
To: Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF <asrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] SMTP pull anyone?

On 8/17/09 9:34 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:
> I don't see how push or pull fundamentally changes the spam
> equation in any case. The problem wrt spam is the any-any nature
> of who you receive communication from, not who initiates the
> connection.

The pull concept is fairly simple.  When creating a white-list, it
becomes important to identify the source of the message.  Since email
uses store and forwarding, originating sources of messages can be
difficult to determine, based upon the message alone.  Of course DKIM
helps with that, but it would be more ideal to shift a greater portion
of the burden toward the sender for email to continue to scale.

By exchanging only references to messages that are held on-line, the
message itself does not need to be initially exchanged.  When contacted
by a specific source that has been white-listed, your MUA could fetch
the desired message from the on-line server at the same time references
have been retrieved.

When a reference has been falsified, no message can be fetched.  This
would not demand cryptographic efforts by the sender, or expect receipt
of an exponentially increasing volume of junk, or tens or hundreds of
DNS transactions per domain to resolve server authorizations.

One wonders whether IMAP might be tweaked to provide an online function
rather than using traditional URIs.  The problem should not be viewed as
the 80-20 rule where 80% of the problems are caused by 20% of the
sources.  This should be viewed as the 99-99 rule, in today's email
environment.

-Doug