Re: [Asrg] Generally workable ways of adding a spam button to MUAs

Ian Eiloart <iane@sussex.ac.uk> Mon, 08 February 2010 12:21 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 12:22:30 +0000
From: Ian Eiloart <iane@sussex.ac.uk>
Sender: iane@sussex.ac.uk
To: Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF <asrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Generally workable ways of adding a spam button to MUAs

--On 5 February 2010 15:20:46 +0000 John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote:

>>> Actually, we've seen a reasonable suggestion a few messages back that
>>> would work equally well with POP and IMAP: extract a reporting address
>>> from the message and send it an ARF report.
>>
>> Which is certainly not at all simpler than setting an IMAP flag on a
>> message. And (if it's what the user desires) moving it out of the INBOX.
>
> Can I ask people to stop making the newbie mistake of assuming that
> all mail systems are, or should be, just like the mail system they
> happen to use?

I'm not making that assumption. I'm simply claiming that the problem isn't
a single problem (1. "how to report junk messages"). It's two problems: "2.
how to report junk messages to an IMAP mailstore operator" and "3. how to
report junk messages to a POP mailstore operator".

I think that there's a simple, efficient, and elegant solution for 2
(IMAP), that isn't available for 3 (POP).

It may be that a simple, efficient, and elegant solution is available for
POP. After all, the DELE command uses a message-id argument, so it's
possible to flag specific messages as deleted, and therefore would not be
beyond the bounds of possibility to extend POP to permit flagging of junk
messages.

In both cases, it would not be necessary to download more than the message
headers in order to file a report. With ARF, you have to download the full
body if you hope to forward the report.

By solving both the problems with a one-size-fits-all proposal, we're
looking at a solution that strike me as pretty rubbish for both (especially
on a narrow-bandwidth connection).