Re: [Asrg] We don't need no stinkin IMAP or POP, was Adding a spam button to MUAs

"Chris Lewis" <clewis@nortel.com> Sat, 06 February 2010 17:29 UTC

Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 12:29:56 -0500
From: Chris Lewis <clewis@nortel.com>
To: Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF <asrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] We don't need no stinkin IMAP or POP, was Adding a spam button to MUAs

John Levine wrote:
>> Make the ARF reporting address a configurable option, but default it to
>> a role account at the email domain of the machine from which incoming
>> mail is obtained.
>
> Now it's not opt-in by the mailstore provider.

We need to have it self-configuring if the mailstore provides the
service.  Which either means a standard role account for it, or, some
way for the mailstore to tell the UA what address to use.

IOW: pure user configurable doesn't do that.

In-stream configuration (via MDA or MTA) would work, but it requires the
MDA/MTA be modified.  Which we're avoiding.

We've been talking about using DNS for some of the signalling.  You
could specify a "_report.<mailstore hostname>" TXT record that specifies
the address (which isn't necessarily in the mailstore's domain) to send
it _and_ its very existence shows that the mailstore provider supports
the functionality (and thus the TiS button gets enabled).

Now, if the TXT record doesn't exist, we could suggest that the user
could set their own abuse report destination.  But I'd rather not get
into a situation where the user overrides the mailstore's explicit choice.