Re: [Asrg] Summary/outline of why the junk button idea is pre-failed

Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org> Tue, 02 March 2010 17:15 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:12:58 -0500
From: Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
To: Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF <asrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Summary/outline of why the junk button idea is pre-failed

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Rich Kulawiec wrote quite a lot. I don't propose to
answer it directly - he doesn't introduce any new evidence or new
arguments, just asserts his old arguments more loudly. Everyone reading
the exchange is entitled to evaluate the arguments for themselves in the
light of their own experience.

There is one argument, not made by Kulawiec that does deserve a response.
That is the underlying problem with the TIS button that is real. It will
generate ARFs that are really just list-unsubscribe requests from
perfectly legitimate sources. It will generate these in large numbers and
it will be impractical to reduce them with user education. Anyone
proposing to process the flood of such messages will have to come up with
an economical way of doing so that doesn't inconvenience the list owners.
In fact, I think most of the opposition to the TIS button comes from the
owners of such lists who feel they would be the victims. To some extent
they are justified - they are following the rules, why should they pay a
penalty. But if the penalty were a small change in their operation, say an
improvement in the standardization of list-unsubscribe headers - it might
be justifiable.

Since any operator can just ignore the reports, it is unreasonable to
claim that the TIS button will cause extensive damage to anything. They
might be ineffective, but I don't think so.

Daniel Feenberg