Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

Ian Eiloart <iane@sussex.ac.uk> Mon, 08 February 2010 11:42 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:43:05 +0000
From: Ian Eiloart <iane@sussex.ac.uk>
Sender: iane@sussex.ac.uk
To: Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF <asrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

--On 5 February 2010 10:52:51 -0500 Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
wrote:

>>> I don't understand why this is relevant. If the MTA operator doesn't
>>> want to support this feature, he doesn't have to. But if he does wish to
>>> support the feature he needs to supply an MX record or accept mail on
>>> the POP or IMAP server. Is that such a great burden? Compared to the
>>> other suggestions here?
>>
>> Honestly, none of us knows.  The name of the POP or IMAP server has
>> never been intended as part of an e-mail address, so it's hard to
>> predict what might break.  Overloading names tends to lead to
>> surprising failures.  For example, my POP/IMAP server is also my
>> SUBMIT server, and although it doesn't have an MX record, it does have
>> an A record.  That means that with your proposal, if I did nothing and
>> one of my users happened to have an MUA with a spam button, when he
>> pressed it, it would connect to my SUBMIT server and send a message to
>> the undeliverable address arf@imap.iecc.com, causing a baffling
>> bounce.
>
> This is just a general argument against all role accounts, including
> postmaster, abuse, webmaster, etc. It doesn't balance the costs and
> benefits, just notes a possible cost as though that was sufficient to
> dismiss it.

No, the argument is nothing to do with the left hand side of the address,
it's to do with the right hand side of the address. "imap.iecc.com" isn't
an email domain, but it might be one day. "imap.sussex.ac.uk" is not an
email domain, and it never will be.

In the case where the imap server host name does happen to be an email
domain, there's a potential name space conflict. ARF@... may well already
be taken. Clearly there's a possibility for an untaken address to be
advertised in DNS, or as a property of the server in the POP3 or IMAP
protocols. IMAP has a suitable extension already, but a special TXT record
in the DNS would be the most likely option. But would that be advertised by
the DOMAIN operator, or by the server operator. They're the same (the
University) for my work domain, but different (me or Gmail) for my personal
domain.