RE: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article

"Sauer, Damon" <Damon.Sauer@BellSouth.com> Mon, 05 May 2003 17:19 UTC

From: "Sauer, Damon" <Damon.Sauer@BellSouth.com>
To: 'Hadmut Danisch' <hadmut@danisch.de>, Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net>
Cc: asrg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article
Sender: asrg-admin@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 12:16:31 -0500

>> Please recite your experiences with Malaysian ISPs, US ISPs, Bolivian
>> ISPs and Tunisian ISPs.  They, too, must accomplish adoption before the
>> proposed mechanism is useful.

>I agree, that the 'Old Europe' might be faster than the rest of the
>world. Second and Third world countries must be forced to upgrade,
>because that's where the Spam comes from that is unreachable by law.

I would also like to bring up the point- Look at all the people that would
implement RMX's it right away...
AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo, and any major ISP that is having a spam problem. (Isn't
that everyone?)
 No longer will a spammer be able to say they are from a domain that is
using an RMX (being received by a system that is checking for them). Sure,
they can say they are from YaMoo.com- but no longer will they be able to say
they are from Yahoo.com.
 As RMX's go into place, that is one less domain that a spammer can spoof. I
don't see this as a solution that only works once it is fully implemented...
the benefits are immediately realized once the very first RMX record is
published for Yahoo or Hotmail.
 I will implement them immediately to keep spammers from using the corporate
domain name for my company as a rejection notice dumping ground and stop the
angry letters from people who don't know how to read headers.
 At some point I am sure that we will have to "force" this issue, in that we
will not wait for ISP X any longer. (Z)% of the internet is using it and if
they are the last hold out- Sorry- Fix it, because it is now broken.

 I am sorry I have not been participating lately. The discussion just got
too noisy and I have real work to do ;-)

Regards,
Damon Sauer
If I had a nickel for every spam message I have blocked.... I would have ALL
the nickels!

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."