Re: [Asrg] What are the IPs that sends mail for a domain?

Bill Cole <asrg3@billmail.scconsult.com> Fri, 19 June 2009 02:43 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:43:32 -0400
From: Bill Cole <asrg3@billmail.scconsult.com>
To: Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF <asrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] What are the IPs that sends mail for a domain?

Franck Martin wrote, On 6/17/09 1:27 AM:
> Sure, it is the the be strict in what you send, lenient in what you
> receive.

Yes, and with all due respect to Jon Postel, that principle is better suited
to the Internet of the 1980's than it is to the Internet today. When there
were a small number of ultimate authorities who put a de facto ceiling on
leniency and the net was treated as a carefully watched experiment rather
than as a production utility,

> If we don't specify some RFC/BCP to specify how SMTP over IPv6 should be
> negotiated, then no one will follow.
>
> We could say something like all emails on IPv6 must have a DKIM
> signature, have RDNS helo, etc... as there is not much of an
> implementation with IPv6, there is a chance for these practices to be
> adopted from day one...

As John pointed out, "Day One" is in the past and the IETF is hostile *as a
matter of principle* to defining application layers differently for IPv6.

I don't think that principle is wrong. Also, I can't think of many examples
of RFC's successfully performing the role you describe of leading a
significant change in practice rather than describing what is already widely
being done to good effect.

Put more directly: if you want something to end up as de facto mandatory and
have a chance of ending up in an RFC, you have to start by getting it
enforced by many working production systems.