Re: [Asrg] request for review for a non FUSSP proposal

Claudio Telmon <claudio@telmon.org> Wed, 24 June 2009 07:39 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:36:19 +0200
From: Claudio Telmon <claudio@telmon.org>
To: Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF <asrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] request for review for a non FUSSP proposal

John Levine wrote:
>> A consent-enabled address will only accept messages from senders that
>> received a valid token for that address though some channel (usually,
>> not email).
>
> It seems to me that if you want a private e-mail network, there are
> plenty of ways to construct one now, e.g., use S/MIME and only accept
> mail from senders whose signing keys are on your whitelist and encrypt
> with your public key.  Or use per-correspondent subaddresses, as
> Zoemail has been doing for over a decade.  If this were a problem that
> needed to be solved, there are plenty of solutions already.

It could turn down to a private network in some cases, but in general
people would still be able to contact each other. But if you mean that
anybody should be able send messages to whoever he wants, and expect
that they are accepted unless they are collectively classified as
"spam", whatever this means (vs. being considered undesired by the
receiver), or sent by a misbehaved agent, this is not what I want. My
guess is exactly this, that a lot of people don't want it either, and
would appreciate to be able to use the current tools and protocols with
some control on correspondents. Cell phones are not a private network,
and people like to have (some of) this control.

--

Claudio Telmon
claudio@telmon.org