[Asrg] re: RFC 2076 and spam

Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> Mon, 12 May 2003 20:27 UTC

To: Yakov Shafranovich <research@solidmatrix.com>
From: Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se>
Cc: Asrg@ietf.org, Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Ned Freed <ned@mrochek.com>, Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>, Pete Resnick <presnick@qualcomm.com>
Subject: [Asrg] re: RFC 2076 and spam
Sender: asrg-admin@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 18:14:38 +0200

The proper recipient to send this query to would be
eitherone of the IETF mailing lists for experts on
e-maillike for example IETF-822 Mailing List
<ietf-822@imc.org>, which is the most active present
mailing list on e-mail standards, or a selection of the
major experts in this area. I have added such a selection
as recipients of this e-mail, to save a step.

Here is what I believe these experts are going to say to you:

The "Precedence" and "Priority" e-mail headers are not
recommended in RFC 2076, because they have been used, and
are still being used, by different e-mail systems in
different ways. Thus, if you choose to use any of these
headers, your usage may conflict with existing usage by
some existing mail systems.

Because of this, these experts will recommend that you
handle this by a new header field not yet used for any
other purpose.

Some of the more dogmatic experts may say that you should
not use header fields at all, but instead some kind of SMTP
information. I would not agree, myself, with that more
fundamentalistic view.

My understanding is that there are already a number of
spam-control e-mail headers, so one task of your group
might be to specify a standard for such headers.