Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

"Chris Lewis" <clewis@nortel.com> Fri, 05 February 2010 19:15 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 14:15:34 -0500
From: Chris Lewis <clewis@nortel.com>
To: Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF <asrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

Steve Atkins wrote:

Okay, but "arf" is so short ;-) And we have to get everybody else to use it.

"feedback" works too.

> The only setting that the MUA is likely to have access to is the name of the IMAP or POP3 server. As IMAP and POP3 are not name-based, the entry there could easily be domain.com, mail.domain.com, imap.domain.com or pop.domain.com or smtp.domain.com or even www.domain.com.

It has the default name used in inbound email, as well as (usually) an
email address used as a userid.  Per delivery server.  It may even be
able to see the rcpt to (or the MTA could "help".  Oh, never mind).

> One option is to have the MUA "use some heuristic to find the 'domain' associated with that hostname", but past experience with SSP suggests that it makes people point and laugh at you and start mentioning things like imap.aardvark.us.com.
>
> Another would be to prepend "feedback." to the imap server name - so do an MX lookup for "feedback.imap.domain.com" to discover whether it's to enable the TiS button. That'll either need a DNS record added for every possible name for the IMAP server, or accept that it won't autoconfigure unless the recipient uses the name for the IMAP server you're expecting, either of which seems reasonable.
>
> (That doing MX lookups is not something that MUAs typically need code for, and that isn't supported by base API, is a minor issue but worth mentioning).

Agreed.  I suspect many MUAs are completely incapable of doing direct to
MX, and don't do MX lookups.  See other suggestion, where I say "Use
normal submit mechanism".