Re: [Asrg] Summary of junk button discussion

Ian Eiloart <iane@sussex.ac.uk> Wed, 24 February 2010 14:18 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:20:07 +0000
From: Ian Eiloart <iane@sussex.ac.uk>
Sender: iane@sussex.ac.uk
To: Jose-Marcio.Martins@mines-paristech.fr
Cc: Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF <asrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Summary of junk button discussion

--On 24 February 2010 12:54:34 +0100 Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz
<Jose-Marcio.Martins@mines-paristech.fr> wrote:

> I find it too restrictive to call this a "junk button" as this mechanism
> can be used more widely than just this way.

Ah, well that's a different question. This particular discussion is about
how to get reports from the user to the administrator of the system. How
the user triggers the report is an exercise for the MUA programmers, but
we've been thinking that it's likely to be a button labelled "junk".

Of course, there could be more than one button, with different labels, or
it could be simply one or more (virtual) mailboxes into which the user
drags emails, or it could be that some smart process monitors the behaviour
of the user (perhaps it would report emails that the user always deletes
without reading).

Whatever triggers the reporting process, it's possible that the client may
ask the user for more details about the report by asking questions like
"this email came from a mailing list, do you wish to unsubscribe?", or
"that's the third time you've reported email from this sender, do you want
me to add the sender to a block list", or something.

But, these are all possibilities that become easier to implement if we can
answer a few questions to standardise reports: like what messages can the
report carry, and what's the mechanism that will carry the report.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex