Re: [Asrg] IPR Document Update

Yakov Shafranovich <research@solidmatrix.com> Mon, 09 June 2003 01:32 UTC

To: Vernon Schryver <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com>, asrg@ietf.org, Paul Judge <paul.judge@ciphertrust.com>
From: Yakov Shafranovich <research@solidmatrix.com>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] IPR Document Update
Sender: asrg-admin@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 21:28:48 -0400

Dear Vernon,

1. For the record of all the ASRG members - I am not a lawyer and do not
claim to be one. The entire purpose of this document that I am keeping on
my own free time, it to record any IPR issues as they come up on the list.
I am not searching the USPTO database, not Googling the entire Internet
looking for patents. Neither am I analyzing them. If you would have taken
care to go through the list, then you would have seen that no where do I
offer my own analysis. All statements have been take from either public
sources or from ASRG list postings.
2. The analysis statement in question was made by Bob Wyman not by me (see
<https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg05304.html>https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg05304.html),
I simply paraphrased it.
3. I moved the statement from the notes section to be directly under the
list posting reference to make it more clear. I also removed the reference
to DCC which seems to have irked you. I re-quoted the original statement as
it was written by Bob instead of paraphrasing it.
4. Once again, my list is not intended to keep track of all IPR issues in
the world, only of the ones that come up on the list. Are you implying that
I should remove all references to all list postings simply because no one
on the list except for you is qualified to express any opinions on IPR matters?

Yakov