Re: [Atlas] Application Transport LAyer Security (ATLAS) Charter Text

Rafa Marin-Lopez <rafa@um.es> Fri, 02 February 2018 16:51 UTC

From: Rafa Marin-Lopez <rafa@um.es>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 17:51:01 +0100
Cc: Rafa Marin-Lopez <rafa@um.es>, "atlas@ietf.org" <atlas@ietf.org>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@arm.com>
Subject: Re: [Atlas] Application Transport LAyer Security (ATLAS) Charter Text

Hi Hannes:

Thanks for your answer. See some comments inline.

> El 2 feb 2018, a las 13:26, Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@arm.com> escribió:
>
> Hi Rafa,
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> A few remarks below.

[Rafa] I am not sure about the logic of this in the context of this effort. I believe one motivation of this proposal is to re-use TLS/DTLS implementation and associated source code, if I understood correctly. It seems that we will work with TLS/DTLS handshake as mandatory however it looks like TLS/DTLS record layer, despite it will be implemented in the device, may not be used and it may be “replaced" for other mechanism to protect application traffic. So the device would have TLS/DTLS handshake implementation + some kind of mechanism to protect application data + TLS record layer (which may not be used for application protection). Maybe the TLS/DTLS record layer is not so optimized than other alternatives but it will be implemented. But the same may be applicable to TLS/DTLS handshake: maybe it is not so optimized against other alternatives but it will be there and it will be used.

We may be opening the door to have a TLS/DTLS spec that omit the record layer in his specification. This would clearly separate the key management from the data protection mechanism in TLS/DTLS.

Best Regards.