[Fwd: Connections to switches]

Peter Jones <peter@atm-net.com.au> Mon, 28 July 1997 02:30 UTC

Sender: peter@phillipe
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:59:42 +0800
From: Peter Jones <peter@atm-net.com.au>
To: atommib@thumper.bellcore.com
CC: kaj@cc.bellcore.com, John Neil <jn@atm-net.com.au>
Subject: [Fwd: Connections to switches]

Hi There,

We have found that <draft-ietf-atommib-atm1ng-03.txt> is unclear about
the usage of TX and RX when defining the traffic descriptor usage for
connections via the Proprietary Virtual Interface to the AAL5 entity in
a switch.

I requested clarification from Kaj in the attached mail. His response
was that he thought the directions should be the same as any other
interface to the switch fabric, i.e. case 1) as defined in the mail.

I would like this clarified in the RFC by adding some text like:

	Connections to the Proprietary Virtual Interface are treated
	like a normal (e.g. UNI) interface.

        The TX and RX indexes in the VPL or VCL Entry,
	(e.g. atmVclReceiveTrafficDescrIndex and
	atmVclTransmitTrafficDescrIndex) apply from the point of
	view of the ATM switching fabric (i.e. the ATM entity in
	Figure 7), i.e. the atmVclReceiveTrafficDescrIndex
        defines the traffic parameters that apply to the flow from
        the AAL5 entity to the ATM Entity, not the traffic flow from
        ATM Entity to the AAL5 entity.

        RxTrafficDescrIndex     ATM Entity     <---  AAL5 Entity
        TxTrafficDescrIndex     ATM Entity     --->  AAL5 Entity

What this means is that the traffic parameters appear to be normal from
the switch's "switch fabric" point of view, and reversed from the
switch's AAL5 Entity (e.g. Management CPU) point of view.

Regards
Peter Jones

 Peter Jones                      Atmosphere Networks
 Project Manager - NMS            GPO Box U 1987
 Direct:+61 (8) 9266 3581         Perth WA 6845, Australia
 Mobile:                          Tel: +61 (8) 9266 2922
 Email: peter@atm-net.com.au      Fax: +61 (8) 9266 3244
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Kaj,

We have a question about the details of building connections to
switches.

Reference the following picture from atm1ng-03.

                        ___________________________
                        |                         |
                        |     =============       |
                        |     |    AAL5   |       |
                        |     |   Entity  |       |
                        |     =============       |
                        |           |             |
                        |         -----Prop. Virtual Interface
                        |           |             |
                        |     =============       |
                        |     |   ATM     |       |
                        |     |  Entity   |       |
                        |     =============       |
                        |_____|__|__|__|__|_______|
                              |  |  |  |  |
                             ---------------- ATM UNIs
                              |  |  |  |  |
                              |  |  |  |  |
                              v  v  v  v  v

                Figure 7: Model of an AAL5 Entity in a Switch

What is the interpretation of the "direction" on the VCL or VPL table
entries that relate to the "Prop. Virtual Interface"?

There are two possibilities:

1)	Treat the "Prop. Virtual Interface" like a normal UNI
	interface.

	In this case, the TX and RX indexes, e.g.
		atmVclReceiveTrafficDescrIndex and
		atmVclTransmitTrafficDescrIndex
	effectively apply from the point of view of the ATM
	switching fabric (i.e. the ATM entity in the figure above),
	i.e. the atmVclReceiveTrafficDescrIndex
	defines the traffic parameters that apply to the flow from
	the AAL5 entity to the ATM Entity, not the traffic flow from
	ATM Entity to the AAL5 entity.

	RxTrafficDescrIndex	ATM Entity     <---  AAL5 Entity
	TxTrafficDescrIndex	ATM Entity     --->  AAL5 Entity

2)	Treat the "Prop. Virtual Interface" as a special case switch
	interface.

	In this case, the TX and RX indexes, e.g.
		atmVclReceiveTrafficDescrIndex and
		atmVclTransmitTrafficDescrIndex
	effectively apply from the point of view of the AAL5 Entity,
	i.e. the atmVclReceiveTrafficDescrIndex
	defines the traffic parameters that apply to the flow from
	the ATM Entity to the AAL5 entity, not the traffic flow from
	AAL5 Entity to the ATM entity.

	RxTrafficDescrIndex	ATM Entity     --->  AAL5 Entity
	TxTrafficDescrIndex	ATM Entity     <---  AAL5 Entity

I can come up with arguments to justify either approach.

What I want to know is what the "standard" approach is (which should be
very clear from the RFC's).

I have had a look at the drafts, but I can't see anywhere where this is
defined.

Regards
Peter Jones

 Peter Jones                      Atmosphere Networks
 Project Manager - NMS            GPO Box U 1987
 Direct:+61 (8) 9266 3581         Perth WA 6845, Australia
 Mobile:                          Tel: +61 (8) 9266 2922
 Email: peter@atm-net.com.au      Fax: +61 (8) 9266 3244

--- End Message ---