Re: Questions re current sonetng, atm1ng and atm2TC drafts

Gary Hanson <gary@kentrox.com> Wed, 25 March 1998 18:56 UTC

Delivery-Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 13:56:28 -0500
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 08:45:31 -0800
From: Gary Hanson <gary@kentrox.com>
To: Kaj Tesink <kaj@cc.bellcore.com>
Cc: peter@aus.atmospherenet.com, John Neil <jn@aus.atmospherenet.com>, atommib@thumper.bellcore.com
Subject: Re: Questions re current sonetng, atm1ng and atm2TC drafts

Kaj and Peter,

It is not completely clear to me that it is a problem to have
one MIB register objects at a level below that of objects
registered in other MIBs.  For example, just because ATM-MIB
registers { mib-2 37 }, it is not illegal for ATM-TC-MIB to
register { mib-2 37 3 }, nor just because ATM-MIB registers
{ mib-2 37 1 } is it illegal for ATM-TC-MIB to register
{ mib-2 37 1 1 }.

This type of registration of objects at points in the OID
hierarchy space below that of objects registered by other
MIBs is done all the time by the non-SMI-defining MIBs.

This leads me to believe that the fault lies with the MIB
compiler Peter is using.  It seems to me that there are only
three reasonable options available to fix the problems that
Peter is apparently experiencing with his MIB compiler.

1.  Abandon the approach of creating an ATM-TC-MIB, and of
    migrating the OBJECT-IDENTITY object registrations from
    the ATM-MIB to the ATM-TC-MIB.

2.  Register the atmTCMIB MODULE-IDENTITY as a different
    value under mib-2 (as is done by the PerfHist-TC-MIB in
    <draft-ietf-atommib-perfhistTC-01.txt), and deprecate
    the existing objects under atmTrafficDescriptorTypes in
    favor of new objects under atmObjectIdentifies.

3.  Ask the vendor of Peter's MIB compiler to relax its
    checking of object re-registrations, specifically so
    that the registration of an object N levels deep does
    not also imply the simultaneous registration of unnamed
    objects at levels N-1 or higher.

I don't like option 1, since I think it is a good step
forward to migrate the common TEXTUAL-CONVENTIONs and
OBJECT-IDENTITYs to a MIB dedicated to such definitions.

I also don't like option 2, or more precisely the second
part of option 2, since the atmTrafficDescriptorTypes are
already commonly used, and are not deserving of deprecation
merely because of our interest in moving them to a new home.

That leaves me to think option 3 is technically the best
option, even if it makes things temporarily more difficult
for those of us who are presently dependent on MIB compilers
with overly strict object registration checking.

Regards,
Gary