Re. ATM Comes and Goes

Sam Ghandchi <samg@netcom.com> Fri, 17 May 1996 23:50 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Sam Ghandchi <samg@netcom.com>
Subject: Re. ATM Comes and Goes
To: ip-atm@nexen.com
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 16:37:45 -0700

Hi,

I think what is happening to ATM is that it is
cart before the horse.  In networking it is
usual that before even a protocol is out of draft
form, there are even products based on the
secondary outcome of the implementation of the
protocol developed.  I think many of us
remember all the products that were based
on the primary and secondary  and ... outcomes
of OSI, but in telephony, people had telephone system
a long time before having local intercoms or voicemail.

I think the whole notion of creating ATM LAN or ATM WAN
is what has messed up ATM.  I think ATM should have focussed
on a new voice/video/data infrastructure, the thing that
has been commercialized by the term Information Highway.

Unfortunately instead, there has been all kinds of carts
before horses that now has ended in the current fiasco
and despair in the ATM community, which is only
comparable to what happened at the end of OSI
carts-before-horse protocols and products ...

I still think that ATM network infrastructure is a viable
infrastructure and will have to be built and it is equivalent
to the worldwide telephone system which took a long time to
be built.  I do not know in the absence of a giant AT&T
in our times, who will take this task and whether it
will be a cableco or a telco or what, but I do not think that any
other alternative technologies can even remotely be comparable
for such a basic infrastructe.

But I think one good result of all the ATM works has been
that networking today after the first upsurge of ATM is
different from the past.  Today's world of networking
is the world of SWITCHED NETWORKS, whether LAN
or WAN.  This is a new thing.  Nobody thought that
switching would become so prevalent in Ethernet,
Token Ring ... networks.  I think ATM has a headstart
in recognizing that the INTEROPERABILITY is central
to success once switching architecture is chosen for
basic network structures.

What I think this means in the real world is that
an UNIVERSAL SWITCH should easily sense the
network technology (Ethernet, Token Ring, ATM,
FDDI, Fiber Channel, Frame Relay, ISDN, etc.).  In other
words, I think the next generation of switches should be
multi-network technology switches rather than separate
interfaces for ATM or Ethernet or Token Ring ....  Just
like the movement from single-protocol routers to
multiprotocol routers.

I think in such a switching world of networking, it
would not matter what the world-wide connectivity
infrastructure is.  But as I said I think that
fabric will be ATM, as I am not convinced any
other technology to be able to offer better scalability
for such a worldwide infrastructure.

My $.03: -)

Best Regards,
- Sam