Re: GPS info in IP addresses

"Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@uu.net> Fri, 16 August 1996 14:11 UTC

To: JohnM <JohnM@competitive.com>
cc: 'Paul Ferguson' <pferguso@cisco.com>, "'davidc@APNIC.NET'" <davidc@apnic.net>, "'dfk@RIPE.NET'" <dfk@ripe.net>, "'kimh@internic.net'" <kimh@internic.net>, "'markk@internic.net'" <markk@internic.net>, "'Postel@ISI.EDU'" <Postel@isi.edu>, 'Jim Browning' <jfbb@atmnet.net>, 'CIDRD List' <cidrd@iepg.org>, 'IESG' <iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>, 'IETF' <ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
Sender: ietf-archive-request@ietf.org
From: "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@uu.net>
Subject: Re: GPS info in IP addresses
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:09:55 -0400

> The benefit of placing geographic information in the IP address, despite
> the fact that we cannot (yet) use this info for routing, is that various
> network devices will be locatable within a physical space.  This will be
> a real benefit for people trying to locate devices that need service,
> etc. in a large network.  No protocol to date provides such information.

Er, there are resource records defined in the DNS for exactly this
purpose.  Having the geographical coordinates imbedded within the
network-level address doesn't seem to be a particularlly good fit for
this particular application.

Louis A. Mamakos,  Manager, Strategic Technologies  louie@uu.net,  uunet!louie
UUNET Technologies, Inc.                            Voice: +1 703 206 5823
3060 Williams Drive                                 Fax:   +1 703 208 5390
Fairfax, VA 22031