Re: [atoca] Next milestone

"Mark Wood" <mark.wood@drcf.net> Tue, 25 September 2012 21:28 UTC

From: Mark Wood <mark.wood@drcf.net>
Sender: Mark <mark.wood@engineer.com>
To: atoca@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 22:28:26 +0100
Subject: Re: [atoca] Next milestone

(FYI my current information is that FEMA IPAWS uses SOAP wrapper to
encapsulate CAP).

Yes, art is correct.

The problem is that the politicians hold the 'sovereignty', not the
emergency management community (the originators of messages), nor the
participating distribution network, (such as the cellular networks).

Now if you want to say "its raining quite a lot actually", well no problem,
but if you want to say "leave your home and go to high ground now", this is
completely different and only a properly authorised agent of the sovereign
state may lawfully do that. If an originator sends a command to another
territory, no matter how well meaning, diplomatic storms will result. The
'BBC World Service' has got in a lot of 'hot water' over this despite honest
intentions.

The decision as to if a polygon should be clipped, parsed, expanded or in
any other way modified will be taken well in advance by the 'Trust Protocol
Board', or equivalent (hopefully) after consultation between stakeholders,
and their decision coded into the gateway for automatic enforcement.
Cellcast gateways for example are designed to handle any such cases if the
MoA demands it, (though it's not mandatory).

And yes, I hope that mutual agreements will emerge in which messages
originated in one territory will be permitted in another, subject to terms
and conditions of the sovereignty targeted by the polygon. We have accounted
for any such possibility. It's possible for an originator to have multiple
permitted polygons even if they are completely non contiguous, or have funny
holes in them. Gateways can share traffic between them so that messages will
be delivered everywhere that they are allowed.

Added to this is the issue that many networks are administered from outside
the territory, for example the mobile switches for some Caribbean islands
are actually on other islands under a different government. No matter, this
is why the filtration must account for any differences in policy before
handing the submission over to the network so that the correct policy is
followed.

But even then, neither the originators of the messages nor the participating
networks have national sovereignty; each is only able to do what the laws of
the state concerned allow. Therefore if an agency creates a warning polygon
covering a large number of islands, all of which are separately sovereign,
then the sovereignty of those states needs to be respected. It's the
respective governments who will decide who can say what, where, when and
how, which is why all orders to the public will have to pass through the
government gateway, (as opposed to any technological benefits).

So as to what extent it is "appropriate' to clip polygons", is defined in
the trust protocol for that territory, there is no real moral dilemma here
as far as the originator of the message is concerned, for the eventual fate
of the message downstream is out of his hands. Any 'doctoring' of the
polygon or the contents (such as language) will have occurred before the
network even gets it.

I share Art's concerns about all of this and I am trying to start a
meaningful dialogue about these issues in advance, but at the moment it
seems that we will have to wait for the first few actual national trust
protocols to be created, then have a review of "best practices" after the
event. However the first international conference about this has already
occurred, (OASIS/ITU Montreal)  with the USA and Canada determined to hash
out a workable policy on all of this which I rather admire.

I am open to suggestions as to the most appropriate forum for this
discussion.

Warm regards Mark Wood.