Re: [Autoconf] Call for comments to a new AUTOCONF charter proposal.

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com> Tue, 29 June 2010 09:04 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:04:24 +0100
thread-topic: [Autoconf] Call for comments to a new AUTOCONF charter proposal.
thread-index: AcsXUOUY+MphkuPDQBWSVKoTb7N1zAAFy7HQ
From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Henning Rogge <henning.rogge@fkie.fraunhofer.de>, autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] Call for comments to a new AUTOCONF charter proposal.

> Does this proposal mean the autoconf group will not work on a
distributed
> address configuration scheme for mesh networks ?

Same question, except I'd stick with the terminology ad hoc network.
A centralised distribution mechanism is a very poor fit to much of
what's attractive about an ad hoc network, and a very poor fit (due
to having a single point of failure) to many application areas for
ad hoc networks.

This is not the direction I for one had hoped that the Autoconf WG
would go in. I note the reference to "future extensions", but first
I assume that this is not chartered work, and second that forces
decentralised work into a certain shape, rather than working from
the problem more generally.

I appreciate that the WG can only work on solutions that people are
prepared to work on, and unfortunately I can't offer the effort needed
to make a concrete alternative proposal. I think however I've put in
at least my share of work in the Manet WG.

Incidentally the charter refers to RFC 5889, which is not yet published.
I see that is in AUTH48, but noted as on hold for a technical issue.
AUTH48 seems rather late for a technical issue, unless meaning a
publication technical issue rather than an engineering technical issue.