Re: [Autoconf] Call for comments to a new AUTOCONF charter proposal.

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Tue, 29 June 2010 12:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:39:36 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] Call for comments to a new AUTOCONF charter proposal.

Le 29/06/2010 06:20, Ryuji Wakikawa a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> Please find a proposal of a new AUTOCONF charter attached below. We
> need to define our new charter carefully to avoid yet-another 5
> years discussion. Jari and chairs agreed to narrow down the charter
> items and go straight to solution space.
>
> This charter is not the final version. Please review it and provide
> us your comments. The discussion before the coming IETF is very
> important to set our charter ready soon.
>
> Please give us your feedback before July 9th.
>
> thanks, ryuji
>
> Ad-Hoc Network Autoconfiguration (autoconf)
>
> Current Status: Active
>
> Chairs: Ryuji Wakikawa<ryuji.wakikawa@gmail.com> Thomas
> Clausen<T.Clausen@computer.org>
>
> Internet Area Directors: Ralph Droms<rdroms.ietf@gmail.com> Jari
> Arkko<jari.arkko@piuha.net>
>
> Internet Area Advisor: Jari Arkko<jari.arkko@piuha.net>

> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/autoconf/current/maillist.html
>
> Description of Working Group:
>
> RFC 5889 presents one possible IPv6 addressing model for ad hoc
> nodes. In this model the ad hoc routers need to configure their
> network interface(s) with addresses valid in the ad hoc network, and
> may configure additional prefixes for use by attached nodes.
>
> After completing the work on RFC 5889, the main purpose of the
> AUTOCONF WG is to standardize how existing IPv6 address
> configuration tools can be used for address configuration:
>
> 1. A DHCPv6-based mechanism for configuring required interface
> addresses for the routers in the ad hoc network. This mechanism is
> expected to produce addresses with properties outlined in RFC 5889.
> This mechanism uses the existing DHCPv6 protocol unchanged, and
> assumes a central node that can allocate addresses on a
> first-come-first-served basis. Other nodes in the ad hoc network
> will relay messages to the central node in order to help a new node
> get an address for itself. This mechanism is only suitable for
> deployments were a central node can be set up. It should be noted
> that many existing deployments employ Internet gateways that can act
> as such a central node as well. Future extensions such as central
> node election may make this mechanism suitable for also for
> stand-alone ad hoc networks.
>
> 2. A DHCPv6-based mechanism for delegating a prefix(es) to each
> router for use by applications running on the routers themselves, or
> for configuration of attached hosts/networks. This mechanism works
> in a similar manner to the one above, but allocates prefixes instead
> of addresses.

Charter proposal looks like a good basis for further discussion, I agree.

I suggest to add point "3) RA-based mechanism for exchanging existing
prefixes and updating routing tables such that paths are set up ok."

I can post an updated draft for Maastricht about a solution for this
point 3.

For point 1) and 2) I suggest to couple the design of address assignment
to the specification of how the route state is updated when an address
or prefix has been assigned.

Alex