Re: [Autoconf] aspects of multi-hop wireless communication

"Teco Boot" <teco@inf-net.nl> Mon, 22 December 2008 08:48 UTC

From: Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl>
To: 'Seung Yi' <scicarus@iname.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:48:01 +0100
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] aspects of multi-hop wireless communication
Sender: autoconf-bounces@ietf.org

I tried to get rid of B->A and C->A and [NOT B->A].

Somewhat adjusted proposal, and using C and D and not the newly
introduced R1 and R2:

 Second, there is no guarantee that two given routers within S can
 directly communicate with one another.  In other words, even though
 two routers C and D have symmetric communication with router A, there is
 no guarantee that C can hear packets from D, and there is likewise
 no guarantee that D can hear packets from C.  Thus, multi-hop ad
 hoc wireless communications may be "non-transitive".  Such non-
 transitivity is often observed on multi-hop ad hoc wireless networks,
 due to well-known properties of wireless communication.

Now C->A and A->D, but [NOT C->D] and also D->A and A->D, but [NOT D->C].
This characteristic is "non-transitive" and it is orthogonal with
"asymmetry".

Your terms "hidden terminal problem" and "non-broadcast" could be used
as alternative terminology, but could have different meanings in
different context.
  o  "hidden terminal problem" could have to do with collisions.
  o  "non-broadcast" does not apply here, because set S contains at
     least 3 routers (B, C, D).
     Term "Semi-Broadcast" (I-D.ietf-autoconf-manetarch) was introduced,
     where S is subset of N. (N is all nodes in network N). I suggested
     not introducing new terms if they not needed.

Teco.