Re: [Autoconf] WC consensus call for RFC5889 modifications (Fwd: Forgotone [Was: RFC 5889)

Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl> Wed, 04 August 2010 06:48 UTC

From: Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 08:48:40 +0200
To: "Charles E. Perkins" <charles.perkins@earthlink.net>
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org, Autoconf Chairs <autoconf-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] WC consensus call for RFC5889 modifications (Fwd: Forgotone [Was: RFC 5889)

Charlie,

I see it this way:

What makes a node a router? (mentioned in meeting, maybe incomplete lsit)

a) The device MAY forward packets. Even the case if it actually doesn't,
e.g. the topology is such that no packet is sent to it for forwarding. Many
OSses have a "Forwarding" config flag. When on, it is a router. This has
nothing to do with routing protocols.

b) The device sends out a routing protocol packet. The intention of the
device is arranging topology state, for itself or for neighbors. Hosts may
use a passive mode (often used with RIP). There are some corner cases, like
management boxes that get topology from OSPF/ISIS or BGP by adjacency with
real router. But often, such adjacency leads to topology change and thus the
management box is a router.

c) The device sends out an RA. Hosts MAY NOT do this.

Why is this important? Especially on b):
Lets say router with reactive protocol sends RREQs but not RREPs.
The router will be part of the topology, but never will receive a packet for
forwarding. But still, it is a router. Willingness=0 is example for an proactive
protocol.

If a host uses tobe-RFC5889 and only uses a /128 prefix, and other nearby nodes
also use /128's, there is no connectivity. 1-hop neighbors can't know that the
host is reachable. I experienced this problem during maintenance or outage of
the routing protocol, I couldn't remotely repair. That is why I use another
addressing model, that doesn't has this shortcoming. It supports all types of
nodes. A big, big difference.

This is why I support the title change.

Regards, Teco

Op 3 aug 2010, om 19:56 heeft Charles E. Perkins het volgende geschreven: