Re: [Autoconf] tentative draft-ietf-autoconf-problem-statement-03.txt and the manetarch document

Shubhranshu <shubranshu@gmail.com> Fri, 23 November 2007 16:42 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; bh=z1z8PiKofeffFgPNN1GFUWq/PewYjiGLCGdzRGuNG9Q=; b=VwYEA41+5PdQ+thqule/b0Dh6SU3hjFT5a0HL9TpeR3tKLPzxu7Oc9aQ1/vdQHKc0Evuk9N6itCK6m7+6aiYKiIlUhTAvuE4eXuBbfT2luzXjchSI8tghRqI7+AdW15yU56Rqg+vb6M8u6HodIK2WMre30nkS1B9tqG8BuqgH/E=
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 01:41:55 +0900
From: Shubhranshu <shubranshu@gmail.com>
To: alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] tentative draft-ietf-autoconf-problem-statement-03.txt and the manetarch document
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org

Alex,

Please see below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexandru Petrescu" <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>

> Shubhranshu wrote:
> [...]
>> I can see the problem being described here but yes I agree that it
>> needs to be expanded, to further calrify things. See below.
>
> Shubhranshu, thank you for reading my proposal text.  I'm taking the
> comments.  I think I will make modifications as you suggest (see below)
> but I don't think I will do them right away.  I think I will do that for
> the next next IETF (after Vancouver), to let time for things to settle.

Thanks. I sent some of my thoughts a while before hoping that it would
help continue our discussion and make some progress even before the
Vancouver meeting. I look forward to hear your comments as well....:-)

> Besides, there may be some impact in how the manetarch document is
> written: should the manetarch document picture a non-hierarchical
> addressing architecture (in addition to the pictured _hierarchical_
> addressing architecture Figure 6).  I think yes because that (manetarch)
> draft says that "MANETs of those sizes can perform reasonably well in
> many cases w/o hierarchy" - what does "hierachy" mean?

I think you are talking about section 8.2. Its Routing hierarchy.

<snip>
> Shubhranshu, I can try to re-formulate that text to express better that
> that is a problem not a solution.  If one tries to run DHCPv6 Server and
> a DHCPv6 Relay, and then a Router behind the Relay requests for a prefix
> (with DHCPv6 PRefix Delegation) then one realizes that (1) the allocated
> prefix must be hierarchically[*] fit within the prefix administratively
> assigned on the Relay's interface towards Router and (2) once the prefix
> is allocated it will unfortunately _not_ be inserted in DHCP Server's
> routing table (because it is already covered by the routing entry
> pointing to Relay's prefix).
>
> This is a problem from implementation.
>
> It could help if we had a requirement (within a bulleted list of Req
> items) on architecture of unicast prefixes assigned on MANET subnets to
> be able to be both hierarchical and non-hierarchical - i.e. there should
> be no strict hierarchical relationship between IPv6 prefixes assigned to
> the MANET subnets (even when the pictured topology seems hierarchical
> tree-like).

Above you said "the allocated prefix must be hierarchically[*] fit.."
but your requirement in the immediately above paragraph is "there
should be no strict hierarchical relationship between IPv6 prefixes
assigned". I guess I am missing something since these two sounds
contradicting to me.

> To better explain that need to support non-hierarchical addressing
> architectures one would first have to explain hierarchical address
> architecture and then, keeping the same topology, one would do a
> non-hierarchical addressing architecture.  I describe this below.
> (Remark that the manetarch draft only pictures a _hierarchical_
> addressing architecture in Figure 6.)
>
> An example of a non-hierarchical address architecture followed by a
> hierarchical address architecture is illustrated below.  Assume three
> prefixes: 8000::/length (also represented as "100..." meaning first 3
> bits are "100" and then followed by 125 0s), 4000::/length (010...) and
> c000::/length (110...) and three MANET Routers.
>
> Hierarchical IPv6 address architecture on a topology illustrated as a tree:
>                            ------
>                           |MANET |
>                           |Router|
>                            ------
>                          /        \
>               8000::/1  /          \ 4000::/1
>               (100...) /            \(010...)
>                     ------        ------
>                    |MANET |      |MANET |
>                    |Router|      |Router|
>                     ------        ------
>                        | c000::/2
>                          (110...)
>
> Same topology illustrated linearly, and with a IPv6 non-hierarchical
> addressing architecture:

>        8000::/1|Router| 4000::/1 |Router| c000::/1 |Router|
>
> Both types of IPv6 addressing architecture should be supported by an
> address auto-configuration protocol for MANETs.  This is a requirement,
> within a buletted list.

Thanks. You explained very well but I am not yet decided on this.
Perhaps I need to further analyse both of them. I'll do that.

- Shubhranshu