Re: [Autoconf] Summary of topologies and addressing discussed recently

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Tue, 03 March 2009 16:59 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:59:29 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: HyungJin Lim <dream.hjlim@gmail.com>
Cc: Autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] Summary of topologies and addressing discussed recently

Hi Hyung-Jin,

HyungJin Lim a écrit :
> Hi, Alex
>
> I think we should identify the impacts from address model we can choice.
> for example, whether packet forwarding or packet routing.
>
> The packet routing needs a satisfied route distributed time.
> While the packet forwarding needs additional processing time for tunneling.

I think packet forwarding and packet routing is the same (I've heard of
'map&encap' to mean something where a router presented with a packet to
forward it searches its routing table (map) and then finds the next hop
to be a tunnel interface, so it encapsulates the original packet).

> What do we should choice for proper address model?

I think the best address architecture one could come up with is the one
that could be drawn on paper and circulated on the mailing list and
agreed on by several people.

> I don't think only simplest scenario is important.

Let's first agree on the simplest scenario.  What's the simplest
scenario for you?

Alex