Re: [Autoconf] updated draft on aspects of multi-hop wireless communication

"Teco Boot" <teco@inf-net.nl> Wed, 25 February 2009 08:22 UTC

From: Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl>
To: 'Thomas Heide Clausen' <ietf@thomasclausen.org>, "'Charles E. Perkins'" <charles.perkins@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:22:41 +0100
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org, 'Emmanuel Baccelli' <Emmanuel.Baccelli@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] updated draft on aspects of multi-hop wireless communication

Inline.

|-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----

I think the definition is still not clear.
Is it a requirement for a MANET Router to forward packets?
What is a MANET interface ? (I think I know, but I refer to the endless
discussion in [Autoconf])
Is the MANET a complete set of nodes, including attached hosts and
"classical routers"?

I think the term MANET is quite abstract and attempts to come up with strict
definitions tend to fail. For specifying protocols, we can come up with
strict definitions. We could say:
An OLSR Router:
 o   ALWAYS have one OLSR interface;
 o   OFTEN they have other (non-OLSR) interfaces;
 o   OCCASIONALLY have more than one OLSR interface.

|I.e. it is quite common for traffic to be forwarded over the same
|interface as the one on which it was received.

The attribute that traffic may be forwarded over the same interface as the
one on which it was received is not specific to MANET at all. Think of WLAN
AP, DSL/cable concentrators, FR/ATM/ISDN, dual-hop satcom etc. Sometimes we
use logical interfaces for links, sometimes we don't. Using logical
interfaces introduce problems utilizing layer-2 broadcast for IP broadcast /
multicast.
Please note that I do not suggest having detailed discussions on layer-2
technologies itself.

Teco.