Re: [Autoconf] aspects of multi-hop wireless communication

"Breno Jacinto" <breno@freeunix.com.br> Mon, 22 December 2008 00:54 UTC

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:53:47 -0300
From: Breno Jacinto <breno@freeunix.com.br>
To: Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl>
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] aspects of multi-hop wireless communication
Sender: autoconf-bounces@ietf.org

Hello,

     That's a very interesting discussion, indeed. I didnt see anyone
mentioning related work about underlay networking (meaning: routing
below IP), and there has been some interesting work in academia, as
well as some practical efforts to prove the concept. Since this is my
line of research currently, let me cite some of the related work:

- 802.1D bridging: as Alexandru cited, that is an already available
implementation, stable and functional and can do bridging and create
an illusion for IP that there is a simple Ethernet network below it.
Now, as Teco mentioned, I also could NOT make it work with 802.11 in
*AD-HOC* mode (Alexandru, I'd be glad to know how you managed to do it
without any special patch or tweak on the drivers, using just the
standard). Other people tried with AP mode and it works (and this is
expected, as the popular APs such as WRT54G do it for Ethernet and
802.11 networks).

- 802.11s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11s): nobody cited
it, but this standard is supposed to implement multi-hopping at layer
2, instead of layer 3 as all Ad Hoc protocols do (OLSR, AODV etc...).
As everyone knows, 802.11 b/g standard does not support multi-hop for
real.

- AWDS (http://awds.berlios.de/) - Ad Hoc Wireless Distribution
System. This project is quite stable and functional implementation a
layer 2 protocol for doing multi-hop communication over ordinary
802.11 b/g cards. Now, to me this is pretty much what 802.11s is
attempting to do, but does it now. It works, and it is being tested in
test-beds today. It is a very active project, but it seems it hasnt
got very popular up to now.

- Ana4 Framework (http://ana4.citi.insa-lyon.fr/): An academic
initiative with the intention of transparent connecting heterogeneous
networks at the underlay, i.e., at a virtual 2.5 layer. It is supposed
to work with any link-layer, including Bluetooth, but actually they
just implemented for Ethernet and 802.11 ad hoc networks. I tested it,
and it works. It's like bridging, but it actually does real routing in
a virtual network (and I could interconnect an Ethernet and 802.11 ad
hoc network).

- MIT RoofNet (http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/roofnet/) and B.A.T.M.A.N
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.A.T.M.A.N.),  are, as far as I can
tell, implemented as a layer 2.5 protocol. Unfortunately I could not
study them deeply enough to confirm this, maybe someone on the list
can.

     Now, going back to this draft, which I believe to be of utmost
importance, I think some questions must be answered as well:

- Should Mult-hop communications happen at the IP layer, really? I
think that this decision was taken just because 802.11 b/g standard
become popular and could not do multi-hop at layer 2. So, everyone
thought, let's do it at layer 3, because it is possible to emulate
multi-hop then.

- If multi-hopping is done at layer 2, isn't that a good thing? I
mean, you can deal with problems specific to the link layer (including
the aforementioned hidden node problem, or whatever
next-popular-link-layer for multi-hop become available in the future)
and make IP more neutral. I think that would conserve the initial aim
of IP, which is simply to glue heterogeneous networks, not fixing a
particular link-layer problem as it is being done with 802.11 b/g.

- Now, if we could assume that multi-hop is done at layer 2; to layer
3 (such as IP), a broadcast should reach (be flooded to) everyone in
the network. Now, IP sees the network as a single broadcast domain and
issues in the "real" network should be dealt there. We may then shift
to the problem of connecting multiple ad hoc networks at the IP layer,
doing inter-domain routing etc..

    I'm sorry for so many observations: I hope to contribute for the
discussion and show some of the research that's been done in the last
years in ad hoc networking (and not everyone is aware of, I think).

regards,
:: Breno Jacinto ::
:: breno - at - gprt.ufpe.br ::
:: FingerPrint ::
   2F15 8A61 F566 E442 8581
   E3C0 EFF4 E202 74B7 7484
:: Persistir no difícil é a única maneira de torná-lo fácil algum dia.  ::