Re: [Autoconf] Closing summary on consensus-call for RFC5889 modifications

Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl> Tue, 24 August 2010 11:09 UTC

From: Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:09:29 +0200
To: reshmi r <reshmi.engg@gmail.com>
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] Closing summary on consensus-call for RFC5889 modifications

Reshmi,

The outcome was we didn't agree on what makes a node a router
or a host. And time is too costly to find out.
Some say we only have routers attached to links with undetermined
characteristics. Others say hosts run OADV.

In IPv6, there are some rules for hosts, e.g. RFC 5942:
|   In IPv6, an address is on-link (with respect to a specific link), if
|   the address has been assigned to an interface attached to that
|   link.
Now we have an addressing model that says:
|   No on-link subnet prefix is configured on this interface.

We have to find out how hosts can use the addressing model. And how
routers deal with such hosts. At least it is not clear to me right now.

Regards, Teco

Op 24 aug 2010, om 06:44 heeft reshmi r het volgende geschreven: